Transcript 05/19/2009 Kara Olson

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/19/2009 Kara Olson

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue May 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Kara Olson
White Plains, NY
research scientist
moved here from Seattle due to her husband's job
married mother of two
Meredith says with a million Kara wants to get a massage. Kara says she can get "a couple" (of them).

Topic Tree
The Breeders
The First Time
Veto Power
Classical Music
South of the Border
Gotham
The Birds
National Anthems
Grand Openings
Bold-Faced Names
One-Liners
Evel Knievel
Small Businesses
It's Showtime!
I Swear

$100 (I Swear):
When a president takes office, he promises to "preserve, protect and defend" the what?
A. U.S. Constitution B. Magna Carta
C. Dead Sea Scrolls D. Fat-cat lobbyists
Spoiler
A. U.S. Constitution (:05)

$200 (It's Showtime!):
An air show is an exhibition that showcases what types of vehicles?
A. Trains B. Cars
C. Planes D. Boats
Spoiler
C. Planes (:11)

$300 (Small Businesses):
Located in Ellwood City, PA, Thanks a Latte is a shop that sells which of the following?
A. Bicycles B. Sneakers
C. Jewelry D. Coffee
Spoiler
D. Coffee (:10)

$500 (Evel Knievel):
An undesirable achievement for many, Evel Knievel once earned a Guinness World Record for doing what 433 times?
A. Drinking poison B. Breaking a bone
C. Getting swimmer's ear D. Getting frostbite
Spoiler
B. Breaking a bone (:07)

$1000 (One-Liners):
"Drink, ye harpooners!" is a line from what classic novel?
A. Old Yeller B. Animal Farm
C. Moby-Dick D. The Black Stallion
Spoiler
C. Moby-Dick [:08]

Commercial Break

They show a picture of her 5-year-old son and 22-mo old daughter. They are looking at bigger more expensive toys.

$2000 (Bold-Faced Names):
Which of these famous names features a Spanish phrase meaning "of the bull"?
A. Benicio Del Toro B. Danny DeVito
C. Leonardo DiCaprio D. Robert De Niro

ATA (:13)

thinks she knows but wants to be absolutely certain
ATA
ATA: A-92% B-2% C-5% D-1%
Spoiler
A. Benicio Del Toro (:11)

$4000 (Grand Openings):
A fumarole is an opening in the Earth's crust, typically found on or near what type of natural formation?
A. Glacier B. Coral reef
C. Volcano D. Iceberg
Spoiler
C. Volcano (:19)
Commercial break

$8000 (National Anthems):
What country's national anthem features the line, "Beneath our radiant Southern Cross we'll toil with hearts and hands"?
A. Colombia B. Australia
C. Japan D. Sweden

ATE (:12)
ATE
Jim is asked how he feels and he says "Cool calm and collected"

Jim: "No problemo, the Southern Cross is only seen in the Southern Hemisphere. You've got three countries that I regard as being northern to central then you've got Australia"
Kara says she was also leaning towards an English-speaking country and adds she loves his show, asks if you are confident
Jim says he is cocky.

Mere says being cocky has gotten Jim in trouble before.
Spoiler
B. Australia (:10)

horn

Kara will return tomorrow.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/19/2009 Kara Olson

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kara Olson
White Plains, NY
WE®

Nihil obstat® so far.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed May 20, 2009 5:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kara Olson
White Plains, NY
research scientist
moved here from Seattle due to her husband's job
married mother of two
Meredith says with a million Kara wants to get a massage. Kara says she can get "a couple" (of them).
The beret didn't do a thing for her - she should have gone without.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000 (Bold-Faced Names):
Which of these famous names features a Spanish phrase meaning "of the bull"?
A. Benicio Del Toro B. Danny DeVito
C. Leonardo DiCaprio D. Robert De Niro

ATA (:13)

thinks she knows but wants to be absolutely certain
ATA
ATA: A-92% B-2% C-5% D-1%
Spoiler
A. Benicio Del Toro (:11)
Another contestant wasting a lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000 (National Anthems):
What country's national anthem features the line, "Beneath our radiant Southern Cross we'll toil with hearts and hands"?
A. Colombia B. Australia
C. Japan D. Sweden

ATE

Jim: "No problemo, the Southern Cross is only seen in the Southern Hemisphere. You've got three countries that I regard as being northern to central then you've got Australia" Kara says she was also leaning towards an English-speaking country and adds she loves his show, asks if you are confident. Jim says he is cocky.

Spoiler
I presume the reference to Jim's cockiness is a reference to the spat he had with Jon Stewart. This would have been a much harder question if they had chosen more than one country in the Southern Hemisphere.

Nihil obstat® for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 6:28 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000 (National Anthems):
A. Colombia B. Australia
C. Japan D. Sweden

ATE

Jim: "No problemo, the Southern Cross is only seen in the Southern Hemisphere. You've got three countries that I regard as being northern to central then you've got Australia" Kara says she was also leaning towards an English-speaking country and adds she loves his show, asks if you are confident. Jim says he is cocky.

Spoiler
I presume the reference to Jim's cockiness is a reference to the spat he had with Jon Stewart. This would have been a much harder question if they had chosen more than one country in the Southern Hemisphere.
This episode was taped on October 30, long before he got smacked down by Jon Stewart.

But in retrospect, that "cockiness" thing is part of what led to the encounter...

Nihil obstat®.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Wed May 20, 2009 6:39 am

Was no one else available for an Expert? What the heck qualifies Cramer as an expert in anything except self-promotion? They might as well have instituted Play It's "Phone A Complete Stranger", or "Ask A Random Audience Member" for a few days.

No problems on the stack so far.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 6:44 am

gsabc wrote:Was no one else available for an Expert? What the heck qualifies Cramer as an expert in anything except self-promotion? They might as well have instituted Play It's "Phone A Complete Stranger", or "Ask A Random Audience Member" for a few days.
But they wouldn't get a chance for some celebrity chatter from "Phone A Stranger". As Meredith commented yesterday, Jim Cramer "always has something to say." :roll:

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Wed May 20, 2009 7:10 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:Was no one else available for an Expert? What the heck qualifies Cramer as an expert in anything except self-promotion? They might as well have instituted Play It's "Phone A Complete Stranger", or "Ask A Random Audience Member" for a few days.
But they wouldn't get a chance for some celebrity chatter from "Phone A Stranger". As Meredith commented yesterday, Jim Cramer "always has something to say." :roll:
So does my cat. I would expect the two to have the same trivia ability.

hbomb1947

#8 Post by hbomb1947 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 am

How can you say that? You are overlooking that a BAM publicist "likes" the fact that JIM CRAMER! is this week's expert. Surely she has a good and genuine reason for her approval. :mrgreen:

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
How can you say that? You are overlooking that a BAM publicist "likes" the fact that JIM CRAMER! is this week's expert. Surely she has a good and genuine reason for her approval. :mrgreen:
Musta been like how Harry Stone became a judge on "Night Court" - He was the only one home when they called around looking for Experts.

vettech

#10 Post by vettech » Wed May 20, 2009 9:29 am

No problems on the stack so far.
Even Cash Cab's "Street Shout Out" seems to have better odds. :roll:

hbomb1947

#11 Post by hbomb1947 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:55 am

gsabc wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Musta been like how Harry Stone became a judge on "Night Court" - He was the only one home when they called around looking for Experts.
I think it's more like TPTB are obsessed with celebrity hooks of all kinds, and they figure that having a fairly well-known and controversial TV personality on their show --- even a B-lister like JIM CRAMER! -- will be good for ratings, never mind that he adds nothing of value to the show or for the contestants, and has no particular credentials as an "expert" in anything outside of, maybe, Business & Industry or economics. Subject areas that are going to come up in a relatively small percentage of questions on the show. (And yes, he got yesterday's $8K question right; that isn't really much of an accomplishment).

I'm not a fan of the ATE lifeline at all, but at least people like Ken Jennings and Ogi and the members of that academic quiz team from a little while back can legitimately be described as trivia/general knowledge "experts." But it devalues the lifeline, and the use of the word "expert," to use people like Cramer.

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript 05/19/2009 Kara Olson

#12 Post by rgcviper » Wed May 20, 2009 11:21 am

Nihil Obstat so far for me as well.

gsabc

#13 Post by gsabc » Wed May 20, 2009 11:23 am

hbomb1947 wrote:But it devalues the lifeline, and the use of the word "expert," to use people like Cramer. (emphasis added)
Amen.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 1:32 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Jim Cramer is interviewed by Time magazine in this week's "10 Questions for..." column.

He's sure not happy about Jon Stewart!
It was rather remarkable in that it was so clear that his goal was to just destroy me. One day he'll answer for it.
Be afraid, Jon. Be very afraid! :shock:

gsabc

#15 Post by gsabc » Wed May 20, 2009 1:44 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Jim Cramer is interviewed by Time magazine in this week's "10 Questions for..." column.

He's sure not happy about Jon Stewart!
It was rather remarkable in that it was so clear that his goal was to just destroy me. One day he'll answer for it.
Note to Jim Cramer: When you've made yourself into an easy target, don't complain when someone lands a bullseye.

Appa23

#16 Post by Appa23 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

gsabc wrote:Note to Jim Cramer: When you've made yourself into an easy target, don't complain when someone lands a bullseye.
Or goes off on an uneducated, bloviating rant like Stewart has developed the tendency to do. :roll:

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Appa23 wrote:
gsabc wrote:Note to Jim Cramer: When you've made yourself into an easy target, don't complain when someone lands a bullseye.
Or goes off on an uneducated, bloviating rant like Stewart has developed the tendency to do. :roll:
Did you watch the exchange between Cramer and Stewart? What part of that, specifically, was an uneducated, bloviating rant?