Transcript 04/30/09 - Heidi Albee (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/30/09 - Heidi Albee (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Heidi Albee
Brooklyn, NY
Executive assistant

When Heidi got the call to be on the show, she called everyone, leaving messages saying she had big news. Her mom called her back to find out what it was; she was disappointed, "Oh, I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant."

If she makes enough money on the show, Heidi would like to expand her family. Her husband, Dan, in the audience, says he didn't know about that. "We'll talk later, sweetie."

Question Topics:
* Thomas Edison
* Famous Firsts
* Surf and Turf
* In Treatment
* Ancient Art
* The Story of O
* Where Are We?
* ...And Women, Too
* (Celebrity Tell-Alls)
* (Architecture)
* (Cuts of Meat)
* (Silly Songs)
* (My Word!)
* (Children's Books)
* (Large and In Charge)

Heidi has three lifelines left: PAF, Double Dip, and ATE. Today's expert is $500,000 winner Ogi Ogas.

$8,000 * ...And Women, Too
In 1848, Elizabeth Cady Stanton amended what man's famous phrase when she wrote "all men and women are created equal"?

A: Thomas Paine B: Alexander Hamilton
C: Thomas Jefferson D: Patrick Henry
Answer
C: Thomas Jefferson ( 5 )
$16,000 * Where Are We?
Where is Marrakesh?

A: Humgary B: Tunisia
C: Morocco D: Turkey
Answer
C: Morocco ( 22 )
$25,000 * The Story of O
Loosely translated, what does "Obama" mean in Japanese?

A: Little beach B: Speedy fish
C: Young boy D: Tall tree

With 8 seconds left, Heidi decides to Ask The Expert.

Ogi: Oh, boy--Obama. Do you have any guesses?

Heidi: I'm relying on you, Ogi.

Ogi: In Japanese-- I didn't think his name was Japanese, so I have no idea. I don't think I've ever heard this and I absolutely don't want to steer you wrong, so I'm very sorry but I have no idea, at all. I mean, I-- Yeah, I just haven't read this and I'm afraid if I took a guess I'd steer you in the wrong direction, so I'm terribly sorry.

With 6 seconds left, Heidi decides to Phone A Friend.

Heidi's PAF team are her friend, Ashley, Gainesville, FL; her pal, Chris, St. Paul, MN; and her buddy, Tom, Brooklyn, NY. She calls Ashley. Before starting the timer, Meredith asks Ashley if she's holding an alligator in her hands in her photo. Ashley says it is; she does alligator research at the University of Florida.

Ashley: Heidi, I really wish I could help you. I have no idea. Audrey would have been better for this one.

Heidi: I know! I can't believe it. Any guesses? Seven seconds!

Ashley: Umm, I really couldn't begin to guess. I'm sorry. I don't want to give you the wrong answer.

Heidi takes the money and walks with $16,000.

Answer
A: Little beach ( 0 )
-- Commercial Break --

Appa23

Re: Transcript 04/30/09 - Heidi Albee (carryover)

#2 Post by Appa23 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:21 pm

So that's three straight questions that Ogi has been little to no help to the contestants.

Rough patch for him. :oops:

I am sure that tomorrow will be a better day.

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 pm

And yet another object lesson in why ones PAFs should be sitting at computers during the phone call.

The first entry on an "obama japanese" Google search.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#4 Post by clem21 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Heidi was fun to talk to in the green room as she had moved to Miami and back in a situation weirdly similar to mine. But we did have fun comparing our favorite beaches and places to hang out and she also knew the place where I went to school down there and we had some fun conversation. She was the last person in the green Room from her group and she was getting pretty antsy. I understood the feeling the next day b/c on Day 2 I was so ready to go I could barely sit. She got nailed with a really tough $25,000 question here but I'm glad she still was able to do really well.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * The Story of O

I think this question is severely undervalued. Were there any news articles on this? You would either have to be a fluent speaker of Japanese or have a Googler on your PAF list to get past this one. I speak very little Japanese, so I definitely need my PAF.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 01, 2009 6:20 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

I think this question is severely undervalued. Were there any news articles on this? You would either have to be a fluent speaker of Japanese or have a Googler on your PAF list to get past this one. I speak very little Japanese, so I definitely need my PAF.
I recall seeing one of those human interest stories (on ABC World News, IIRC) about there being a town in Japan named Obama. Naturally, they were excited about a candidate with the same name running for president and they were selling souvenirs with his picture on them, etc. If the story bothered to mention what the name of the town translated to, I can't recall, as it was entirely insignificant to the story.

My hunch was correct, only because "Little beach" sounded like a more likely name for a coastal town than any of the other choices, but I agree that this was a WWOQ.

Rafferbee

#7 Post by Rafferbee » Fri May 01, 2009 7:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: When Heidi got the call to be on the show, she called everyone, leaving messages saying she had big news. Her mom called her back to find out what it was; she was disappointed, "Oh, I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant."
Ha! That's what everyone thought when I told them I had big news, too! And then they were disappointed that it was only WWTBAM and not a baby. Little did I know...

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

Agreed. I heard what Suri Cruise's first name means in Japanese, but never anything about this. Where are you supposed to have picked up this tidbit?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 01, 2009 7:44 am

gsabc wrote:Where are you supposed to have picked up this tidbit?
Here's one of the articles that ran last year about Obama, Japan. The tidbit about what the name translates to is in the next-to-last paragraph.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23460798/

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:39 am

mellytu74 wrote:And yet another object lesson in why ones PAFs should be sitting at computers during the phone call.

The first entry on an "obama japanese" Google search.
I had no clue but given it was a painfully simple PAF google hard to feel too sympathetic to the cast member even if it was undervalued since she still had a PAF. Which for these kinds of Gastonia Q's is hard to determine.

I would give props to Ogi for being up front about not knowing and not potentially misdirecting the cast member by taking a SWAG.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Mon May 04, 2009 6:03 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Heidi Albee
Brooklyn, NY
Executive assistant
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 * ...And Women, Too
In 1848, Elizabeth Cady Stanton amended what man's famous phrase when she wrote "all men and women are created equal"?

A: Thomas Paine B: Alexander Hamilton
C: Thomas Jefferson D: Patrick Henry
Answer
C: Thomas Jefferson ( 5 )
$16,000 * Where Are We?
Where is Marrakesh?

A: Humgary B: Tunisia
C: Morocco D: Turkey
Answer
C: Morocco ( 22 )
Our church is involved in a mission partnership in Morocco; in fact we have a group of church members there now. As a fundraiser for the trip the church held a talent show and a man and his two sons performed "Marrakesh Express" in honor of the trip.

With 8 seconds left, Heidi decides to Ask The Expert.

Ogi: Oh, boy--Obama. Do you have any guesses?

Heidi: I'm relying on you, Ogi.

Ogi: In Japanese-- I didn't think his name was Japanese, so I have no idea. I don't think I've ever heard this and I absolutely don't want to steer you wrong, so I'm very sorry but I have no idea, at all. I mean, I-- Yeah, I just haven't read this and I'm afraid if I took a guess I'd steer you in the wrong direction, so I'm terribly sorry.

Tough question and probably one that you either know or you don't.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:With 6 seconds left, Heidi decides to Phone A Friend.

Heidi's PAF team are her friend, Ashley, Gainesville, FL; her pal, Chris, St. Paul, MN; and her buddy, Tom, Brooklyn, NY. She calls Ashley. Before starting the timer, Meredith asks Ashley if she's holding an alligator in her hands in her photo. Ashley says it is; she does alligator research at the University of Florida.

Ashley: Heidi, I really wish I could help you. I have no idea. Audrey would have been better for this one.

Heidi: I know! I can't believe it. Any guesses? Seven seconds!

Ashley: Umm, I really couldn't begin to guess. I'm sorry. I don't want to give you the wrong answer.

Heidi takes the money and walks with $16,000.
Answer
A: Little beach ( 0 )
It's easily Googlable so the right PAF would come in handy.

I wouldn't have had any idea, and I don't think the audience or the expert would, either, so it's time to call the Google PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."