PT Millionaire Returning

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
clem21
Nose Exploder

Re: PT Millionaire Returning

#126 Post by clem21 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:41 pm

I would be a kick-ass PAF for very specific areas such as Sports, Stuff that Today's Youth knows (like Frogman's Californication Q) and Groupies....
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

tlynn78

#127 Post by tlynn78 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:42 am

I saw my first commercial for PT 'BAM - one of those "ABC is giving you ten new things this summer" commercials - I've seen them before, but this one's the first one I've noticed with Regis and 'Bam.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#128 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 pm

I've forgotten how the first players qualified for PT millionaire before it actually aired. Was it something to do with McDonald's?

Jeemie

#129 Post by Jeemie » Sat May 02, 2009 10:35 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:I've forgotten how the first players qualified for PT millionaire before it actually aired. Was it something to do with McDonald's?
a) It was still the phone game, but it was a 900 number back then, and b) I believe you found out about the game and the numbers to call at McDonalds.

I think McDonald's was simply one of the first sponsors, but it was still a phone game (although they set up an 800 number for those states where it was illegal to have a 900 number be the number you had to call to qualify...CT was one of them at the time...I called an 800 number when i played my first phone game- which was one of the last in the August run).

The other difference is when you got to Round 2, you were picked for the show by how many you got right AND how fast you were.

From November on, Round 2 was simply a random selection of those that got the most right.
1979 City of Champions 2009

tailskid

#130 Post by tailskid » Sun May 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Saw this during a commercial while watching "Harry Potter" last night. So stoked that the phone game is coming back, too! Can I assume that the dates to call in haven't been announced yet, since I haven't seen anything in this thread about it?

Jason, also back from hiatus :)

peacock2121

#131 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:55 pm

tailskid wrote:Saw this during a commercial while watching "Harry Potter" last night. So stoked that the phone game is coming back, too! Can I assume that the dates to call in haven't been announced yet, since I haven't seen anything in this thread about it?

Jason, also back from hiatus :)
Did the commercial say the phone game is back?

mcd1400de

#132 Post by mcd1400de » Mon May 04, 2009 11:27 am

cindy.wellman wrote:I've forgotten how the first players qualified for PT millionaire before it actually aired. Was it something to do with McDonald's?
They also announced it in late July or early August in the Sunday Parade magazine. I only heard of it because Jeanie saw it in her local newspaper, and she told me about it.
Bazinga!

tlynn78

#133 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Did the commercial say the phone game is back
The commercial I saw did not mention it.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

peacock2121

#134 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:55 pm

tlynn78 wrote:

t.
Has anyone reported hearing the phone game mentioned by anyone associated with the show?

MarleysGh0st

#135 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 04, 2009 3:00 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

t.
Has anyone reported hearing the phone game mentioned by anyone associated with the show?
No such reports yet.

peacock2121

#136 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:01 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote: The commercial I saw did not mention it.

t.
No such reports yet.
Makes me worry.

tlynn78

#137 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Right now, it's only coming back as a 'special event' over a two-week period, so who knows if they'll go to the effort of setting up the phone game system. Assuming it takes particular effort. How did they get the contestants for the 10 Million $$ shows?

t.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#138 Post by Rexer25 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:02 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Right now, it's only coming back as a 'special event' over a two-week period, so who knows if they'll go to the effort of setting up the phone game system. Assuming it takes particular effort. How did they get the contestants for the 10 Million $$ shows?

t.
That was a phone game.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

tlynn78

#139 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:05 pm

That was a phone game.
Then I'd say that bodes well for a repeat. How, and how far in advance of the shows did we find out about it back then, if you remember?

t.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#140 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 am

tlynn78 wrote:
That was a phone game.
Then I'd say that bodes well for a repeat. How, and how far in advance of the shows did we find out about it back then, if you remember?

t.

About one month. SuperBAM was in late February, and the announcement came in late January....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Buffacuse

#141 Post by Buffacuse » Wed May 06, 2009 6:46 pm

FWIW, if they are portraying this as a 10 year anniversary, I am absolutely convinced they will use the phone game to generate the national interest in the show that was there at the beginning--when for one moment, everyone had a shot to be on a game show.

peacock2121

#142 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:02 am

Buffacuse wrote:FWIW, if they are portraying this as a 10 year anniversary, I am absolutely convinced they will use the phone game to generate the national interest in the show that was there at the beginning--when for one moment, everyone had a shot to be on a game show.

Ummmmm, it was for a whole lot longer than one moment.

hbomb1947

#143 Post by hbomb1947 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Buffacuse wrote:FWIW, if they are portraying this as a 10 year anniversary, I am absolutely convinced they will use the phone game to generate the national interest in the show that was there at the beginning--when for one moment, everyone had a shot to be on a game show.
I was convinced too. But recent events have shown the folly of assuming that people (in this case, the suits at ABC) always act rationally. :cry:

Well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.

MarleysGh0st

#144 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat May 09, 2009 3:39 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
I was convinced too. But recent events have shown the folly of assuming that people (in this case, the suits at ABC) always act rationally. :cry:

TPTB are still convinced that the Phone Game was the worst mistake they ever made on the show. :evil:

peacock2121

#145 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:11 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:

TPTB are still convinced that the Phone Game was the worst mistake they ever made on the show. :evil:
I thought they thought that the over saturation was the worst mistake.

gsabc

#146 Post by gsabc » Sun May 10, 2009 5:35 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I was convinced too. But recent events have shown the folly of assuming that people (in this case, the suits at ABC) always act rationally. :cry:

I thought they thought that the over saturation was the worst mistake.
They don't admit that was a mistake, nor the myriad celebrity editions which got lamer and lamer the more they did.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Buffacuse

#147 Post by Buffacuse » Mon May 11, 2009 7:16 pm

I apparently know nothing. I honestly don't understand why they think cherry picking contestants is better than the national buzz created when millions of people auditioned and then watched the show they thought they had a chance to get on.

Mistake.

Looking forward to seeing Kevin Nealon on the celebrity anniversary edition...

flockofseagulls104

#148 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:13 am

Does this mean we have to move this board back to abc.go.com?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

earendel

#149 Post by earendel » Wed May 13, 2009 7:27 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Does this mean we have to move this board back to abc.go.com?
As if they'd want us back.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#150 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 13, 2009 8:23 am

earendel wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Does this mean we have to move this board back to abc.go.com?
As if they'd want us back.
Message boards may be yesterday's technology for them. We've had a thread or two about WWTBAM having a Facebook page now, but it's doubtful if TPTB really want it to be more than an outlet for broadcasting their official promos. They're certainly not responding to questions their "fans" are posting and I doubt very much that they'd want us to post our unofficial replies to those questions. :mrgreen: