PT Millionaire Returning

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

Do we know "no FF" for a fact? Re: PT Millionaire Returning

#151 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 13, 2009 2:19 pm

I haven't read "no FF; a fact" anywhere.

OK, so we know they're auditioning contestants for PTBAM as well as for syndi. This sucked the wind big time out of a lot of us. Or out of our sails, anyway.

But wait! Hark! I got on to PT via an audition, remember. I certainly didn't ace my 1 round #2. And all my fellow-auditioners playing PTBAM had to go through a FF round. Which is why only 2 of the 10 actually got to play.

There have been people who not only passed auditions for PTBAM, complete with FF, which they didn't win, they subsequently passed the "free pass" audition that is syndi, too. silvercamaro is one such. And a few others who are or used to be on various incarnations of this board.

But none of my group-of-10 have passed a syndi audition, & I've been checking for the others.

There have also been those who "failed", whatever that meant, PTBAM auditions who have subsequently passed syndi auditions. (Just for the record, I failed my 1st PTBAM audition.)
Nope, not gonna name them.

At any rate, the APs picking passers for the original PTBAM auditions wanted people with whatever hooks they were looking for, to be sure, but also people who would do well in a FF.

The APs picking passers for syndi by this time do not know what someone who could do well in a FF even is, I say.

So:

Are the passers they pick going to be subjected to FFs?

If they asked "do you want to be in the pool for PTBAM, complete with FF, which means the chance is good you will never get to play", I of course would say "yes!" because that's all I ever wanted. I wonder how many of the current auditioners for syndi would even go for those odds. I'd like to say "of course they all would" but I just don't think so.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Do we know "no FF" for a fact? Re: PT Millionaire Returning

#152 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 13, 2009 2:27 pm

ghostjmf wrote:At any rate, the APs picking passers for the original PTBAM auditions wanted people with whatever hooks they were looking for, to be sure, but also people who would do well in a FF.
Why?

Somebody is going to win an FF. As long as they've got ten contestants who meet their requirements for personality and stories and demographics, what do TPTB care about their FF skills?

hbomb1947

#153 Post by hbomb1947 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:35 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:At any rate, the APs picking passers for the original PTBAM auditions wanted people with whatever hooks they were looking for, to be sure, but also people who would do well in a FF.
Why?

Somebody is going to win an FF. As long as they've got ten contestants who meet their requirements for personality and stories and demographics, what do TPTB care about their FF skills?
You left out "needing the money." :roll: (although perhaps that was subsumed under your more general "stories")

MarleysGh0st

#154 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 13, 2009 2:39 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:You left out "needing the money." :roll: (although perhaps that was subsumed under your more general "stories")
Yes, of course!

ghostjmf

Re: PT Millionaire Returning

#155 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm

Marley says:
There have been reported instances where nobody won an FF. Both from phone-game round 2 winner shows & auditioner shows, I believe. So they did it over again until somebody did win. It adds to the time taken to tape the show, though. All that gearing up to do the FF with nobody winning takes its emotional toll on everybody, including the contestants.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#156 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm

ghostjmf wrote:
There have been people who not only passed auditions for PTBAM, complete with FF, which they didn't win, they subsequently passed the "free pass" audition that is syndi, too. silvercamaro is one such. And a few others who are or used to be on various incarnations of this board.
What is a "free pass" audition? Do you mean an audition that leads directly to the hot seat, without need for a fast finger round?
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

#157 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 13, 2009 2:47 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Marley says:
There have been reported instances where nobody won an FF. Both from phone-game round 2 winner shows & auditioner shows, I believe. So they did it over again until somebody did win. It adds to the time taken to tape the show, though. All that gearing up to do the FF with nobody winning takes its emotional toll on everybody, including the contestants.
Yes, they can edit it out and ask another FF if that happens. The added time and "emotional toll" isn't enough to make the APs care about FF skill in the first place.

ghostjmf

#158 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm

silvercam says:
What is a "free pass" audition? Do you mean an audition that leads directly to the hot seat, without need for a fast finger round?
Yes, that is what I meant. Except of course that it didn't lead directly to the hot seat for a lot of people who did get a happy-card, but then never got called to the show.

You passed 'em both! Consider yourself the 2X winner!

(There are probably people out there who are 3X winners; they not only got through all 5 Qs of a dreaded-but-much-desired round #2, they got through them fast enough to be part of the group that got drawn from the pool of smartie fasties to get THE CALL. Then they didn't win the FF. So they tried out for PTBAM via auditions, got on, but still didn't win the FF. Then they tried out for syndi, got the happy card, & got called, & got to play. I can't immediately think of any from the board, though.)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#159 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 13, 2009 4:34 pm

ghostjmf wrote:silvercam says:
Yes, that is what I meant.
Thanks, ghost. I just wanted to be sure I understood what you were saying.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

ghostjmf

silvercam: Re: PT Millionaire Returning

#160 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 13, 2009 4:42 pm

silvercam says:
Thanks, ghost. I just wanted to be sure I understood what you were saying.
Nobody gets a free pass to the answers. Except maybe that guy in England with the strategically coughing friend, but that didn't work out so well for him in the long run. I wonder what they do about that nowadays, with stuff you used to have to be a spy to have on sale in SkyMall. "These are just my earings!"

bazodee

#161 Post by bazodee » Wed May 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Nobody answered the first FF question on jarnon's and my show. It was edited out. All together the experience probably added about 8-10 minutes to the production time.

Kazoo65

#162 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

So TPTB want to do auditions for the 10th anniversary of PTBAM? I think this is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Here's why:

1. 99% of the country doesn't live in NYC/Jersey/CT. After seeing all those WE/WE contestants, it's gonna look way too much like SyndiBAM, where we see WE/WE contestants at least once a week. Who wants to watch a bunch of WE's?

2. The Original Phone Game was what made PTBAM unique among game shows-past and present. Imagine being able to dial a number, answer some questions, and a few days later being in NYC on nationwide TV for a chance at life-changing money.

3. They had a phone game for SuperBAM back in 2004.

I have to believe they're gonna have a Phone Game-or an online test. That would really be great.
I'm just a game show nerd.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#163 Post by clem21 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:So TPTB want to do auditions for the 10th anniversary of PTBAM? I think this is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Here's why:

1. 99% of the country doesn't live in NYC/Jersey/CT. After seeing all those WE/WE contestants, it's gonna look way too much like SyndiBAM, where we see WE/WE contestants at least once a week. Who wants to watch a bunch of WE's?

2. The Original Phone Game was what made PTBAM unique among game shows-past and present. Imagine being able to dial a number, answer some questions, and a few days later being in NYC on nationwide TV for a chance at life-changing money.

3. They had a phone game for SuperBAM back in 2004.

I have to believe they're gonna have a Phone Game-or an online test. That would really be great.
Damn, I'm from NYC, I'm a WE AND I was on SyndiBam.

I should start watching out for the firing squad around here...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

MarleysGh0st

#164 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 am

clem21 wrote:Damn, I'm from NYC, I'm a WE AND I was on SyndiBam.

I should start watching out for the firing squad around here...
Nobody warned you about that before now? :twisted:

MarleysGh0st

#165 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 14, 2009 7:06 am

Kazoo65 wrote:I have to believe they're gonna have a Phone Game-or an online test. That would really be great.
I wish they'd do that, too, Kazoo. But, based on all the evidence and my understanding of TPTB's motivations, I don't believe it.

gsabc

#166 Post by gsabc » Thu May 14, 2009 7:39 am

Kazoo65 wrote:1. 99% of the country doesn't live in NYC/Jersey/CT. After seeing all those WE/WE contestants, it's gonna look way too much like SyndiBAM, where we see WE/WE contestants at least once a week. Who wants to watch a bunch of WE's?
While I agree with points 2 and 3, TPTB has stated plans for road auditions. There's plenty of time before August to find suitable contestants for the new PTBAM from many places other than the WABC viewing area. After all, the original PTBAM arranged travel, lodging and the entire show literally overnight for players. They'll have much more time than that this time around.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

hbomb1947

#167 Post by hbomb1947 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:09 am

Kazoo65 wrote:So TPTB want to do auditions for the 10th anniversary of PTBAM? I think this is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Here's why:

1. 99% of the country doesn't live in NYC/Jersey/CT.
Actually, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, a mere 89.6% of the country lives outside those three states. :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#168 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 14, 2009 11:26 am

hbomb1947 wrote:

Here's why:

1. 99% of the country doesn't live in NYC/Jersey/CT.
Actually, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, a mere 89.6% of the country lives outside those three states. :mrgreen:
But not all of those states are Where Else!

The New York DMA is only 6.553% of the US. :wink:

flockofseagulls104

#169 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:18 pm

I will not hold my breath until they have an audition in Northwest Arkansas.

I will not watch the show unless I have a stake in it, and I will not have a stake in it unless they have a phone game qualification.

I know what decade A Flock of Seagulls were on the charts now.

TPTB have no idea what made the show popular 10 years ago. And if they do not reinstate the phone game, it will flop bigtime. And I hope it does.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

MarleysGh0st

#170 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I will not hold my breath until they have an audition in Northwest Arkansas.
I can't see the APs going to Northwest Arkansas.

Would you settle for Branson, Missouri? :mrgreen:

clem21
Nose Exploder

#171 Post by clem21 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:34 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I will not hold my breath until they have an audition in Northwest Arkansas.

I will not watch the show unless I have a stake in it, and I will not have a stake in it unless they have a phone game qualification.

I know what decade A Flock of Seagulls were on the charts now.

TPTB have no idea what made the show popular 10 years ago. And if they do not reinstate the phone game, it will flop bigtime. And I hope it does.
Okay, Holding up umbrella to block flying objects and...

1) Does this mean you'll only watch the show if and when you get on? Why would the phone game make any difference?

2)I'm honestly sick and tired of this "Phone Game is what made the show" crap. It's just not true. I've no doubt that the phone game was a part of it, but if you choose to completely ignore the fact that it was part of a trivia fad/craze you're fooling yourself. The phone game may have "made the show" for you, but don't presume to think you are talking for America.

3) I don't think the show will "flop bigtime." And why do you hope it does? I don't get the wishing ill on other people thing. Do you want the show to fail simply because they aren't catering to what YOU want? And I'm not trying to antagonize you, honestly, I'm just trying to better figure out your point of view.
-Charles Bukowski

Weyoun

#172 Post by Weyoun » Thu May 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Ugh! One of these shows most memorable contestants was a fiddler from West Virginia! What audition will he drive to?

MarleysGh0st

#173 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 14, 2009 1:43 pm

clem21 wrote:Okay, Holding up umbrella to block flying objects and...
I can offer a generic reply on behalf of boring MAWGs in blue shirts, but I'll give flock some more time to post a personal reply, first.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#174 Post by clem21 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
I can offer a generic reply on behalf of boring MAWGs in blue shirts, but I'll give flock some more time to post a personal reply, first.
One add-on:

Don't think I don't realize that no phone game hurts your chances of getting on the show. And that sucks, I get that. And I'm pissed on your behalf Marley. But to imply that the show is only relevant because people can get on? It's my belief that over 80% of people watching wouldn't even think to audition anyway. You are the exception and not the rule in this case...
-Charles Bukowski

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#175 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:19 pm

clem21 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
One add-on:

Don't think I don't realize that no phone game hurts your chances of getting on the show. And that sucks, I get that. And I'm pissed on your behalf Marley. But to imply that the show is only relevant because people can get on? It's my belief that over 80% of people watching wouldn't even think to audition anyway. You are the exception and not the rule in this case...
Clem's right. I was back east getting my hair cut at my sis-in-law's favorite haircut establishment, and the television was on, and out of about five people watching Syndibam, with great enjoyment, I might add, I was the only one with the slightest interest in getting on the show. And the only one trying to answer the questions, but that seemed to make it more fun for the other clients.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller