PT Millionaire Returning

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Re: PT Millionaire Returning

#51 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:54 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:So what parts of the "tweaked version" are TPTB planning on incorporating? And do TPTB believe that TOPG constituted part of "the essence of the original"?
That's what I hope, but what I think is that TPTB look on TOPG as the largest mistake they ever imported from the UK. :(

If this revival is related to the success of Slumdog Millionaire, TPTB may have a particular interest in casting potential slumdogs for the show.

How about a Mecca Millionaire?

lb13
Hmmmm. Does a night stocker have the same cachet as a chai wallah?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#52 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:54 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: That's what I hope, but what I think is that TPTB look on TOPG as the largest mistake they ever imported from the UK. :(

If this revival is related to the success of Slumdog Millionaire, TPTB may have a particular interest in casting potential slumdogs for the show.

lb13

I don't even know what that is. Of course, I didn't see the movie....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

MarleysGh0st

#53 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:58 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Hmmmm. Does a night stocker have the same cachet as a chai wallah?
I don't even know what that is. Of course, I didn't see the movie....

lb13
His job was serving tea ("chai") to all the other employees at a Mumbai call center.

Jeemie

#54 Post by Jeemie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:39 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:That's what I hope, but what I think is that TPTB look on TOPG as the largest mistake they ever imported from the UK. :(
And yet the last time PT BAM ran, it used the phone game to select contestants.
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#55 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:48 am

Jeemie wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:That's what I hope, but what I think is that TPTB look on TOPG as the largest mistake they ever imported from the UK. :(
Then I hope that I'm being overly pessimistic.

Did SuperMillionaire use TOPG rules or the modified phone game rules, where TPTB made the final contestant selections?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#56 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Did SuperMillionaire use TOPG rules or the modified phone game rules, where TPTB made the final contestant selections?

You can't remember???? :shock:

You were allowed to qualify for one tape date, and they chose form the pool of qualifiers for each tape date to stock that show's RoF...... it was a modified PPP style game....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Jeemie

#57 Post by Jeemie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

They had one round of five questions and said the selection of the finalists for tape dates was completely random, IIRC.

So it was kind of a mix of both.

Also, IIRC, there was a decent amount of MAWGs on the show.

MarleysGh0st

#58 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:55 am

littlebeast13 wrote:You were allowed to qualify for one tape date, and they chose form the pool of qualifiers for each tape date to stock that show's RoF...... it was a modified PPP style game....
Jeemie wrote:They had one round of five questions and said the selection of the finalists for tape dates was completely random, IIRC.
These two testimonies do not agree on an essential detail.

MarleysGh0st

#59 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:00 am

littlebeast13 wrote:You can't remember???? :shock:
It has been five long, frustrating years of quixotic questing, beast.

But it turns out I do have a copy of the rules saved, and Jeemie's recollection is correct.
The Eligibility Call

All Phone Game players and Computer Game players who select the same Tape Date will be placed into a one (1) Tape Date Player Pool for the selected Tape Date. For each Tape Date, players will be randomly selected from the applicable Tape Date Player Pool. The randomly selected players will be contacted by Super Millionaire representatives for the purpose of qualifying him/her as a Finalist for the Program. Only the randomly selected players will receive Eligibility Calls. All other players remaining in the Tape Date Player Pool will be eliminated from the competition and will be blocked from qualifying for another Tape Date Player Pool.
And that will be fine with me, if they keep these rules.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#60 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:You were allowed to qualify for one tape date, and they chose form the pool of qualifiers for each tape date to stock that show's RoF...... it was a modified PPP style game....
Jeemie wrote:They had one round of five questions and said the selection of the finalists for tape dates was completely random, IIRC.

Only because you're focused on exactly how they selected the contestants....

I'm thinking it was random, but either way, they chose who made the final cut.....

lb13

Jeemie

#61 Post by Jeemie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
LB's memory is probably better than mine...but I seemed to recall they didn't actively choose.

And there were plenty of older contestants. I know the first contestant was younger but I do not recall seeing anything in the contestant pool that made me feel they were skewing it younger or towards more women.

BigDrawMan

#62 Post by BigDrawMan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:36 am

mebbe the slumdog guy will make a few callbacks from the Indian call center
I dont torture mallards all the time, but when I do, I prefer waterboarding.

-Carl the Duck

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#63 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:38 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:So what parts of the "tweaked version" are TPTB planning on incorporating? And do TPTB believe that TOPG constituted part of "the essence of the original"?
That's what I hope, but what I think is that TPTB look on TOPG as the largest mistake they ever imported from the UK. :(

lb13
Or a Podunkville Millionaire?
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#64 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:55 am

ghostjmf wrote:I finally saw "Slumdog Millionaire". I don't recall the main character ever answering "so how did you get on that show?", though he was asked. And he did work at a call center. Lotsa phones. Even if he was the chai-wallah & not even a call answerer.
I don't believe it was spelled out, but the impression I got was that qualifying for the Slumdog game was like those radio contests where they randomly announce that the next caller to the station will win a prize. The people at the call center all watched the show and unsuccessfully tried to qualify when the host said it was time to call in. The main character was the only one to figure out the timing delay involved and when the precise right time to call would actually be (sort of like figuring out the buzzer delay on Jeopardy).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#65 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:20 am

I see no need to further reduce their chances by giving syndibam alumni a second bite at the apple.
I wholeheartedly agree. While it would be fun to play again, I would far rather see those bb's who haven't had the opportunity as yet in that seat. Make it so.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

gsabc

#66 Post by gsabc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:16 am

Okay, then. J! audition today, Phone Game for PTBAM in mid-June or so. All I need is a SyndieBAM audition this year, preferably but not necessarily in Boston, to complete the trifecta.

One of these shows is going to tape my shayna punim this coming season. You are warned.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#67 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: That's what I hope, but what I think is that TPTB look on TOPG as the largest mistake they ever imported from the UK. :(

lb13
Night stalker??????
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

andrewjackson

#68 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Good luck to everyone eligible.

No matter what contestant selection method they use.

I might even watch the show again.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Bob Juch

#69 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:01 pm

gsabc wrote:Okay, then. J! audition today, Phone Game for PTBAM in mid-June or so. All I need is a SyndieBAM audition this year, preferably but not necessarily in Boston, to complete the trifecta.

One of these shows is going to tape my shayna punim this coming season. You are warned.
Why do you want them to tape your face? You'd look better without it. :lol:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Jeemie

#70 Post by Jeemie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 pm

andrewjackson wrote:Good luck to everyone eligible.

No matter what contestant selection method they use.

I might even watch the show again.
I can't watch BAM unless Regis is hosting.

Something about Meredith hosting it just rubs me the wrong way.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#71 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm

Marley, What do you think will TPTB pay Cash or by Annuity?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

hbomb1947

#72 Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Marley, What do you think will TPTB pay Cash or by Annuity?
Didn't they have an annuity set-up for the biggest prizes for "Super Millionaire"? I would expect it to be similar this time around.

hbomb1947

#73 Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm

bazodee wrote:
(2) The phone game will return. All the legal issues were resolved when they allowed a means for hearing impaired people to play the phone game. They will not gear up for nation-wide auditions nor will they use auditioners currently in the pool from SyndiBAM. The buzz was generated in 1999 because anyone could get on the show by dialing a phone number one night and being in New York two days later.
I thought that the abandonment of TOPG was much more about "diversity" in contestants than about that unfortunate lawsuit. Nevertheless, the more I think about it, the more I conclude that either a phone game or some type of online qualification method will be used. Due to the rather brief, 11-episode run of this revival, nationwide auditions (or even auditions in a few "major cities") would seem to be overly expensive -- a lot of trouble to go to for the recruitment of a relative handful of contestants. And I doubt TPTB would do NY-only auditions, because having night after night of WE/WE contestants for 2 weeks would probably not be conducive to the type of ratings ABC will be seeking for prime-time.

KillerTomato

#74 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:33 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
bazodee wrote:
(2) The phone game will return. All the legal issues were resolved when they allowed a means for hearing impaired people to play the phone game. They will not gear up for nation-wide auditions nor will they use auditioners currently in the pool from SyndiBAM. The buzz was generated in 1999 because anyone could get on the show by dialing a phone number one night and being in New York two days later.
I thought that the abandonment of TOPG was much more about "diversity" in contestants than about that unfortunate lawsuit. Nevertheless, the more I think about it, the more I conclude that either a phone game or some type of online qualification method will be used. Due to the rather brief, 11-episode run of this revival, nationwide auditions (or even auditions in a few "major cities") would seem to be overly expensive -- a lot of trouble to go to for the recruitment of a relative handful of contestants. And I doubt TPTB would do NY-only auditions, because having night after night of WE/WE contestants for 2 weeks would probably not be conducive to the type of ratings ABC will be seeking for prime-time.

They can always piggyback on the SyndiBAM auditions, which should start in a month or so. That'll give 'em a couple of months of potential contestants to choose from.

BUT, I do think they'll revert back to some incarnation of Phone Game for this, if they're using the FF round. Simply because they'll have a lot of seats to fill over a 2 week period.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#75 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Marley, What do you think will TPTB pay Cash or by Annuity?
Didn't they have an annuity set-up for the biggest prizes for "Super Millionaire"? I would expect it to be similar this time around.
Yes, the prizes over $1M were annuities. And since they never go out of their way to explain that to the viewers, it'll be easy for the bean counters to insist on that again.