Transcript 4/8/09 - Shannon Young

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/8/09 - Shannon Young

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Shannon Young
Mapleton, UT

Shannon was watching the show and decided one day to audition. Three days later, she hopped on the red-eye, and now she's in the hotseat (of course, they didn't say how much time had passed between the audition and taping, but they did say "it happened so fast").

Her category tree:

All of Us
The Supreme Court
Wish Me Luck
Moving the Pen
Statuesque Models
Mixed Heritage
Talking Heads
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Across the Pond
Coming and Going
On Time
Snappy Slogans
Barkeep
Hollywood Holidays
Little Children

$100 (Little Children): Parents typically "burp" a baby by doing what?
A. Tickling his feet B. Patting his back
C. Stroking his ear D. Giving him a Mountain Dew
Spoiler
B. Patting his back (6)
Meredith notes that, since Shannon has 4 kids and 10 grandkids, she probably knows a lot about burping babies.

$200 (Hollywood Holidays): The classic films "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" both conclude with celebrations of what holiday?
A. Independence Day B. Easter
C. Valentine's Day D. Christmas
Spoiler
D. Christmas (9)
$300 (Barkeep): Which of the following is a fancy word for "bartender"?
A. Aromatherapist B. Financier
C. Mixologist D. Ventriloquist
Spoiler
C. Mixologist (8)
$500 (Snappy Slogans): "Dentist strong, so the pain is gone!" is a slogan for what popular drugstore brand?
A. Anbesol B. Preparation H
C. Secret D. Visine
Spoiler
A. Anbesol (9)

(N.B. Meredith almost stole my joke for this...I thought "If it's B, I've been using it in the wrong place for years". Her comment was "Yeah, don't put Preparation H in your mouth....")
$1,000 (On Time): On the cover of the August 4, 2008 issue of Time magazine, Lebron James appears holding a what?
A. Hockey puck B. Tennis ball
C. Basketball D. Golf ball

Shannon seems to not know, so she decides to use her ATA (9).
ATA Results
A. Hockey puck - 0%
B. Tennis ball - 1%
C. Basketball - 96%
D. Golf ball - 3%
Spoiler
C. Basketball (8)
$2,000 (Coming and Going): Which department of the U.S. federal government has the authority to issue passports?
A. Agriculture B. Defense
C. Labor D. State
Spoiler
D. State (12)
$4,000 (Across the Pond): In England, what is "snogging"?
A. Eating rapidly B. Kissing
C. Napping D. Drinking alcohol

Obviously, Shannon is not a fan of Harry Potter (where, in "Half-Blood Prince" this word is used about 30000 times), and she decides to ATE (14).

Meredith asks if Will has spent any time in England, to which he replies that he lived there for a year. When he gets the question, he says, "Oh, that's pretty easy. I'd say it's
Spoiler
B, Kissing... I always thought it was a little more than kissing, but I guess kissing covers it."
Spoiler
B. Kissing (12)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Meredith says that Shannon is known to her grandchildren as "Grandma Sparkle" because she's so bubbly and full of life. They show a picture of the 10 grandkids all sitting on a couch. Thirty years after Shannon left college, with only a few credits remaining for her degree, she went back and finished it as "empty-nest therapy". She finished her degree in two years and was valedictorian.

$8,000 (Fuzzy Wuzzy): Which of these fruits is typically covered with a fuzzy skin?
A. Kiwi B. Papaya
C. Mango D. Guava
Spoiler
A. Kiwi (25)
$16,000 (Talking Heads): Benefitting from an exciting year in politics, "The Rachel Maddow Show" was an instant hit on what network in 2008?
A. Fox News B. PBS
C. MSNBC D. CNN

Shannon chooses to PAF (20). Standing by are her sister, Cynthia (Mapleton, UT); her son-in-law, Todd (Springville, UT); and her friend Roy (North Richmond Hills, TX). She calls Todd.

Shannon abbreviates the question by asking what network "The Rachel Maddow Show" is on, finishing with 20 seconds left, then spells Maddow (which leaves 16). Todd immediately answers
Spoiler
with MSNBC
, leaving 14 seconds for Shannon to ask "100%?"and be told she owes Todd a t-shirt for this. Todd is the father of 5 of her grandkids.
Spoiler
C. MSNBC (18)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

The only banter after the break is Meredith's introduction of Shannon's husband, Jim, who is in the audience.

$25,000 (Mixed Heritage): The offspring of a male donkey and female horse is called a "mule," and the offspring of a female donkey and male horse is called a what?
A. Jenny B. Dunny
C. Ronny D. Hinny

Shannon says she's hardly ever been on a farm, and has no clue, so she decides to take the $16,000 home.
Spoiler
D. Hinny (2)
THE HORN sounds, ending the show. There will be no carryover for tomorrow's show.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Transcript 4/8/09 - Shannon Young

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:44 pm

[quote="BBTranscriptTeam"]Shannon Young
Mapleton, UT

Shannon was watching the show and decided one day to audition. Three days later, she hopped on the red-eye, and now she's in the hotseat (of course, they didn't say how much time had passed between the audition and taping, but they did say "it happened so fast").

Her category tree:

All of Us
The Supreme Court
Wish Me Luck
Moving the Pen
Statuesque Models
Mixed Heritage
Talking Heads
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Across the Pond
Coming and Going
On Time
Snappy Slogans
Barkeep
Hollywood Holidays
Little Children

$100 (Little Children): Parents typically "burp" a baby by doing what?
A. Tickling his feet B. Patting his back
C. Stroking his ear D. Giving him a Mountain Dew
Spoiler
B. Patting his back (6)
Meredith notes that, since Shannon has 4 kids and 10 grandkids, she probably knows a lot about burping babies.

I don't know nuthin' about burpin' no babies.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:56 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shannon Young
Mapleton, UT

<sigh>®

$2K: I blanked out on this question. I don't have a passport, so I don't know if they're issued by the defense department or the state department. Ask the audience.

$25K: It's either a jenny or a hinny. Double dip.

doitneatly

#4 Post by doitneatly » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 am

That $25k question would've sent me packing, as I would've jumped at the distractor
Spoiler
Jenny
in a heartbeat!
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:29 am

ATA on the $16K. Never heard of her.

No problems with any of the others. Went with hinny immediately. A jenny is a female ass.

[Insert single entendre comment here]
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:34 am

Shannon's appearance got a brief mention:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6102090

BTW, I'd also have fallen for the "Jenny" distractor. Nasty including that in a $25K question!

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript 4/8/09 - Shannon Young

#7 Post by rgcviper » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am

I knew the $25K (hinny) before the choices came up. One of the obscure bits of trivia I picked up at some point.

NellyLunatic1980

#8 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 am

gsabc wrote:A jenny is a female ass.
See Jenny Jones.