Transcript 03/30/09 Timothy Woodward

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/30/09 Timothy Woodward

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Timothy Woodward
North Billerica, MA
Writer

Timothy writes trivia questions for a game show in Africa.

Timothy still has his PAF and DD.

Topic Tree:

Patently False
Sweet Justice
Word Is Born
The Name Game
R.E.M.
(No More!)
(Big Words
(In the Kitchen)
(All Things Montana)
(Towering Above)
(The High Court)
(Up, Up and Away)
(Makeup Mishaps)
(On the Web)
(Yee-Haw!)

$50K Which of these popular board games is not mentioned in lyrics to the R.E.M song “Man on the Moon”?
A. Monopoly
B. The Game of Life
C. Risk
D. Parcheesi

PAF (16)

Timothy’s PAF team:

Joe from Playa Vista, CA
Richard form Santa Monica, CA
Matt from Alameda, CA

PAF – Joe

Joe says that Monopoly is definitely in the song and he thinks Parcheesi is, but isn’t sure.

DD (15)

Timothy makes The Game of Life his first choice, which is incorrect.
Timothy’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Parcheesi (11)
$100K Which of these presidential surnames was also the surname of someone who served as U.S. vice president?
A. Monroe
B. Clinton
C. Harding
D. Taylor
Spoiler
B. Clinton (1)
commercial break

$250K According to the OED, which of these classic works of literature features the first known use of the term “Satanic”?
A. Paradise Lost
B. Beowulf
C. Frankenstein
D. The Divine Comedy

Timothy decides to leave with $100K.
Spoiler
A. Paradise Lost (1)
Answers:
$50K D. Parcheesi
$100K B. Clinton
$250K A. Paradise Lost

tanstaafl2

Re: Transcript 03/30/09 Timothy Woodward

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Wow, for CindyBAM that seemed a pretty reasonable set of third tier questions!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm

$50K Which of these popular board games is not mentioned in lyrics to the R.E.M song “Man on the Moon”?
A. Monopoly
B. The Game of Life
C. Risk
D. Parcheesi

PAF (16)

Timothy’s PAF team:

Joe from Playa Vista, CA
Matt from Alameda, CA
What's with all the CA PAFs......didn't he have my number?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:02 pm

No problem on $50K and $100K... but that $250K question turned out to be one where one of the obvious answers was actually correct.

My guess would've been "Frankenstein", but there's no way that I would lock that in immediately. I have all of my lifelines available, so naturally, I'll start with PAF and see if either he/she knows this offhand or can Google it.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#5 Post by clem21 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Wow. It's not often I can nail a 100K and 250K question w/o thinking but to me those were both relatively simple.

Ego boost for the day - Accomplished.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Timothy Woodward
North Billerica, MA
Writer

Timothy writes trivia questions for a game show in Africa.
elwing commented on this and wondered if the trivia questions were totally different. I said that since it was for college students, it might be the same stuff as here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Which of these popular board games is not mentioned in lyrics to the R.E.M song “Man on the Moon”?
A. Monopoly
B. The Game of Life
C. Risk
D. Parcheesi

PAF (16)

Timothy’s PAF team:

Joe from Playa Vista, CA
Matt from Alameda, CA

PAF – Joe

Joe says that Monopoly is definitely in the song and he thinks Parcheesi is, but isn’t sure.

DD (15)

Timothy makes The Game of Life his first choice, which is incorrect.
Timothy’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Parcheesi (11)
Well, since I've used my ATA already, I'll have to use another lifeline. This should be an easy Google, so PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K According to the OED, which of these classic works of literature features the first known use of the term “Satanic”?
A. Paradise Lost
B. Beowulf
C. Frankenstein
D. The Divine Comedy

Timothy decides to leave with $100K.
Spoiler
A. Paradise Lost (1)
My first thought was "Paradise Lost" but then I looked at the dollar value of the question and wondered if it might be Frankenstein or Beowulf because they were not obvious (I knew it wasn't The Divine Comedy). If I were brave enough I'd pull the trigger on "A", but would probably use the DD and make "C" my first choice, followed by "A".

So I'd be looking at the $500K question with ATE still available. Given the expert this isn't promising.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Sisyphean Fan
I Wanna Rock!

#7 Post by Sisyphean Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:33 am

I happened to watch this guy because I had switched over to get the first contestant's name for doitneatly.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K Which of these presidential surnames was also the surname of someone who served as U.S. vice president?
A. Monroe
B. Clinton
C. Harding
D. Taylor
The only reason I know this one so easily is that he was also in Parliament Funkadelic. I think I put him in my Timeline game for the same reason.

$250K According to the OED, which of these classic works of literature features the first known use of the term “Satanic”?
A. Paradise Lost
B. Beowulf
C. Frankenstein
D. The Divine Comedy
What a great question, but I think for 250k I would have been paralyzed by knowing too much. Paradise Lost seems so obvious since Satan is basically the crux of the whole damned thing that I would be looking for the trick or the catch. Dante meets Satan in the Divine Comedy, but I think the trick here is "Satanic", since I think the Divine Comedy used Lucifer, not Satan. Frankenstein doesn't seem to fit except that, in the book, the Monster was quite literate and fond of quoting Paradise Lost. Ha!

I love Paradise Lost! Anybody who thinks that kind of shit is old and tiring should read Milton. The mind is its own place, and in it self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n. If the time i spent in high school did anything for me for which I'm grateful, it was to give me an appreciation for Milton.

But I also dig Dante. My fantasy football name is from the Divine Comedy, while my email name is from Milton. So I would have way overthought this question. In this case, having a time limit on the clock probably would have been a help rather than a hinder.
Push it real good!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:38 am

Sisyphean Fan wrote:But I also dig Dante. My fantasy football name is from the Divine Comedy, while my email name is from Milton. So I would have way overthought this question. In this case, having a time limit on the clock probably would have been a help rather than a hinder.

So how many balls on Dante......?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Sisyphean Fan
I Wanna Rock!

#9 Post by Sisyphean Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:42 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Sisyphean Fan wrote:But I also dig Dante. My fantasy football name is from the Divine Comedy, while my email name is from Milton. So I would have way overthought this question. In this case, having a time limit on the clock probably would have been a help rather than a hinder.

lb13
Ha, you never miss a trick, do you?

If I was one of those who had the patience to search stuff, I'd dig around and try to find that commentary. It's got to be around somewhere, given how much it was used for jokes at the time.
Push it real good!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 am

Sisyphean Fan wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

If I was one of those who had the patience to search stuff, I'd dig around and try to find that commentary. It's got to be around somewhere, given how much it was used for jokes at the time.

You mean this?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Sisyphean Fan
I Wanna Rock!

#11 Post by Sisyphean Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:48 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Sisyphean Fan wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

You mean this?

lb13
No, I mean the actual audio commentary of the game.
Push it real good!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#12 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:50 am

Sisyphean Fan wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Sisyphean Fan wrote: Ha, you never miss a trick, do you?

You mean this?

lb13
No, I mean the actual audio commentary of the game.

Well, that I would not know where to begin looking for.....

Maybe Sprots should contact Radio Dude.....

lb13

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:37 am

Sisyphean Fan wrote:I happened to watch this guy because I had switched over to get the first contestant's name for doitneatly.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K Which of these presidential surnames was also the surname of someone who served as U.S. vice president?
A. Monroe
B. Clinton
C. Harding
D. Taylor
The only reason I know this one so easily is that he was also in Parliament Funkadelic. I think I put him in my Timeline game for the same reason.

A. Paradise Lost
B. Beowulf
C. Frankenstein
D. The Divine Comedy
What a great question, but I think for 250k I would have been paralyzed by knowing too much. Paradise Lost seems so obvious since Satan is basically the crux of the whole damned thing that I would be looking for the trick or the catch. Dante meets Satan in the Divine Comedy, but I think the trick here is "Satanic", since I think the Divine Comedy used Lucifer, not Satan. Frankenstein doesn't seem to fit except that, in the book, the Monster was quite literate and fond of quoting Paradise Lost. Ha!

I love Paradise Lost! Anybody who thinks that kind of shit is old and tiring should read Milton. The mind is its own place, and in it self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n. If the time i spent in high school did anything for me for which I'm grateful, it was to give me an appreciation for Milton.

But I also dig Dante. My fantasy football name is from the Divine Comedy, while my email name is from Milton. So I would have way overthought this question. In this case, having a time limit on the clock probably would have been a help rather than a hinder.
I'm a big fan of both Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy - in fact I just picked up my Ciardi translation of TDC and am reading through it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

TheConfessor

#14 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:54 am

earendel wrote:I'm a big fan of both Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy - in fact I just picked up my Ciardi translation of TDC and am reading through it.
The fact that The Divine Comedy was not written in English would seem to eliminate it as the first use of the word "Satanic."

EugeneF

#15 Post by EugeneF » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 am

Beowulf is practically pagan. Composed during the Dark Ages, any Christianity in it would be a hint rather than a major element of the work. So a theological discussion of Satan seems unlikely. Furthermore, "Beowulf" was written in Old English, which sounds like a Welshman gargling in German. We really would not recognize any word in the text.

Frankenstein was written in the 19th century, in an English that we can easily read. But that seems too late a date to be the source of the word "Satanic".

"The Divine Comedy" certainly mentioned the incarnate of evil. He has a starring role in the Ninth Circle of Hell. But would Dante have coined the word "Satanic"? How good was his English? The Tuscan poet might have come up with satanico, but the Millionaire question makes no allowance for a foreign source.

That leaves "Paradise Lost". Milton's English is recognizable to us, and he definitely was writing about Satan.

In fact, Milton coined a number of words. Pandemonium is one. To us, it means pure chaos; but in Milton, it was the capital of Hell.

Enough of my pedantics....

Eugene

gsabc

#16 Post by gsabc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 am

EugeneF wrote:Enough of my pedantics....

Eugene
Pedant away. How else will we learn new stuff that might show up in a game show while we're playing?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.