Transcript 11/27/2007 Shannon Thomas

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/27/2007 Shannon Thomas

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Shannon Thomas
Manhattan Beach, CA
(occupation not mentioned)

A week before the call, she had hives break all over her palms. She heard that 'itchy palms' bring money.

$100- In the '60s, Baskin-Robbins introduced the ice cream flavors 'Astronut' and 'Lunar Cheesecake' in recognition of what?
A. Presidential elections B. NASA space missions
C. Olympic medal ceremonies D. Alien invasions

$200- Superstitiously touted as one of the luckiest days of the century, 7-7-07 was a Saturday that fell during what month?
A. March B. April
C. June D. July

$300- Packed with useful instructions and advice, a 2006 bestseller is titled "Martha Stewart's" what?
A. Literary Handbook B. Homekeeping Handbook
C. Automotive Handbook D. Physics Handbook

$500- A plastic surgeon corrects a deviated septum by performing surgery on which of these body parts?
A. Nose B. Wrist
C. Ear D. Foot

$1000- "Where Yee-Hah meets Olé" is the slogan of what small American city?
A. Woodbury, Vermont B. Manchester, Ohio
C. Eagle Pass, Texas D. Walla Walla, Washington

Shannon says this is another one she never heard of but figures it must be C.

Commercial break

Shannon says she has to slow down since she did not even read the choices on one of her questions. Her guessing instinct is awful, when it comes down to 50/50 playing at home she picks the wrong one. She also picks the wrong line at the supermarket, etc.

$2000- Which of the following is often classified as a type of role-playing game?
A. Asteroids B. Chutes and Ladders
C. Dungeons & Dragons D. Tetris

$4000- Because it facilitates the body's absorption of calcium, which of the following is commonly added to calcium supplements?
A. Vitamin D B. Iron
C. Zinc D. Folic acid

$8000- In which of these countries is voodoo widely practiced, despite the fact that the majority of its citizens are Roman Catholic?
A. Indonesia B. Vietnam
C. Colombia D. Haiti

$16,000
Thanks to a controversial 2007 decision by George Bush, Lewis "Scooter" Libby avoided doing time for which of these crimes?
A. Bribery B. Obstruction of justice
C. Treason D. Tax evasion

$25,000
Béarnaise, a classic French sauce often served over steak, is traditionally flavored with which of these herbs?
A. Coriander B. Rosemary
C. Sage D. Tarragon

ATA
A- 6%
B- 33%
C- 4%
D-57%

50/50 left C and D

Commercial break

Shannon would really want to move to Hawaii. It is the one place that really lives up to the hype. Meredith says there is another such place, Millionaire.

$50,000
Radon, a potentially dangerous gas to homeowners, results from the radioactive decay process of which of these elements?
A. Uranium B. Polonium
C. Molybdenum D. Lanthanum

STQ $50K
Wanted chess legend Bobby Fischer avoided deportation to the U.S. in 2005 when he was granted citizenship by what country?
A. Iceland B. Turkey
C. Singapore D. Serbia

She read about this but does not remember which country. She was feeling that it was an Asian country like Thailand or something.

PAF, Kirk, her boss, (no answer)

Shannon's first instinct was C, but she had a nagging feeling that it was A. She stayed with C, but stayed at and left with $25K.

Answers:
$100- B. NASA space missions
$200- D. July
$300- B. Homekeeping Handbook
$500- A. Nose
$1000- C. Eagle Pass, Texas
$2000- C. Dungeons & Dragons
$4000- A. Vitamin D
$8000- D. Haiti
$16K- B. Obstruction of justice
$25K- D. Tarragon
$50K- A. Uranium
STQ $50K- A. Iceland

Commercial break

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/27/2007 Shannon Thomas

#2 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:31 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shannon Thomas
Manhattan Beach, CA
(occupation not mentioned)

A week before the call, she had hives break all over her palms. She heard that 'itchy palms' bring money.
I've heard that, too, but hives may be a bit excessive.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000- Which of the following is often classified as a type of role-playing game?
A. Asteroids B. Chutes and Ladders
C. Dungeons & Dragons D. Tetris
I love this question!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
Béarnaise, a classic French sauce often served over steak, is traditionally flavored with which of these herbs?
A. Coriander B. Rosemary
C. Sage D. Tarragon
I'd be using ATA also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:ATA
A- 6%
B- 33%
C- 4%
D-57%
This is one of those questions where the strong 2nd place showing might make me doubt the answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Radon, a potentially dangerous gas to homeowners, results from the radioactive decay process of which of these elements?
A. Uranium B. Polonium
C. Molybdenum D. Lanthanum
Since all of the choices except "A" have a lower atomic number than radon, there's no doubt as to the answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50K
Wanted chess legend Bobby Fischer avoided deportation to the U.S. in 2005 when he was granted citizenship by what country?
A. Iceland B. Turkey
C. Singapore D. Serbia
I wouldn't have seen this one but knew the answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shannon's first instinct was C, but she had a nagging feeling that it was A. She stayed with C, but stayed at and left with $25K.
Too bad she didn't go with her "nagging feeling".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 11/27/2007 Shannon Thomas

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:PAF, Kirk, her boss, (no answer)
Add to the reasons not to use a PAF: Calling your boss because they made such a big deal of your getting The Call in the office. :(

And it should be noted that Shannon read the question in plenty of time and then started a countdown, "Fifteen seconds...ten seconds...five, I need an answer!" And Kirk remained completely silent.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 am

$25K: This has been a question in the online game since the Regis days. The programmers infamously screwed up that question by listing the correct answer as rosemary. The first person to report that publicly? None other than Leszek.

$50K: Molybdenum is not radioactive, so that's wrong. Among the other three, I was leaning toward polonium, but I would've used the PAF.

$50K #2: I did know this one before the choices came up.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:59 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$50K: Molybdenum is not radioactive, so that's wrong. Among the other three, I was leaning toward polonium, but I would've used the PAF.
Neither is lanthanum.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:48 pm

25K: Know its not coriander or sage. Pretty sure its tarragon, but don't want to pull the lever. 50/50

50K: Its uranium or polonium. Have used 50/50. Pretty sure its uranium, but burn PAF here.

STQ 50K; Say its my 100K: Pretty sure its Iceland, but know he was in Asia for some time, too. ATA, & if they have no overwhelming choice, STQ