College football Thanksgiving weekend

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
andrewjackson

College football Thanksgiving weekend

#1 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:26 pm

Shakeups already this weekend.

LSU goes down in triple overtime, 50-48, to Arkansas.

That puts West Virginia and Ohio State, in particular, back in contention for the National Championship game.

Undefeated and one loss teams left:

Kansas 11-0, plays Missouri on Saturday
West Virginia 9-1, still plays UConn and Pittsburgh
Missouri 10-1, plays Kansas
Ohio State 11-1, season complete

And then the winner of Kansas-Missouri still has to play the Big XII championship game.

Others not in contention

Hawaii 10-0, plays Boise St and Washington
Boise St 10-1, plays Hawaii later tonight
No matter where you go, there you are.

ne1410s

#2 Post by ne1410s » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Cool. I believe if the Ohio State goes to the BCS Championship game, then Illinois will go to the Rose Bowl....I think.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Unless Kansas goes to the championship game undefeated -- and that's still two big games away from happening -- I think the national championship for this year should be declared null and void. Everybody can split up the bowl appearance money as usual, but nobody should be permitted to repaint their scoreboard.

rayxtwo

#4 Post by rayxtwo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:08 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Unless Kansas goes to the championship game undefeated -- and that's still two big games away from happening -- I think the national championship for this year should be declared null and void. Everybody can split up the bowl appearance money as usual, but nobody should be permitted to repaint their scoreboard.
Ok then, tell me why Missouri shoudn't be able to lay claim to it if they win out.

1) Our only loss was to Oklahoma when they were ranked either 5th or 6th

2) We beat Illinois, which later beat Ohio State

3) We'll beat the current Number 2 team in the country this week

4) Beat another Top 10 team in the Big 12 Championship Game

5) Then the current Number 2 team in the BCS Championship Game.

If that don't make you the National Champion, I don't know what does.

Ray

andrewjackson

#5 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:43 pm

ne1410s wrote:Cool. I believe if the Ohio State goes to the BCS Championship game, then Illinois will go to the Rose Bowl....I think.
Nope.

If the Rose Bowl loses Ohio State to the National championship game then the Rose Bowl is free to pick a team from outside the Big Ten.

The six BCS conference winners are guaranteed to be in a BCS bowl and then the other four teams are "at large". A non-BCS conference winner is guaranteed to be in the BCS if it finishs in the top 12 or ahead of a BCS conference winner. Hawaii or Boise State could conceivably qualify this way. Hawaii is 15th and Boise State 19th right now.

BCS teams that are not conference winners have to be in the top 14 of the BCS rankings to be selected as an at-large team.

Illinois would need to be ranked in the top 14 to have chance at being selected to a BCS bowl including the Rose Bowl. Illinois is 17th in the BCS right now. I'd be really surprised if they are selected even if they move up to 14th.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:52 pm

Since no conference can send more than two teams, the BCS will expand the field to 18 teams if 14 is not enough.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:45 am

In my book, until there is a playoff the so called "National Champion" remains mythical, what ever their record, whomever they beat.

If Missouri wins out they will be proclaimed "National Champ". If WVU wins out they will be given the title. If both stumble OSU might even get another well undeserved shot. Even if Kansas goes undefeated and appears to be the most deserving team, without a playoff their claim to the title remains mythical.

Without a legitimate playoff system it will never be a legitimate claim by any team, past, present or future.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:47 am

rayxtwo wrote: If that don't make you the National Champion, I don't know what does.

Ray
A playoff system does!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#9 Post by kayrharris » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:04 am

Auburn got screwed by the BCS a few years back as well. It's certainly not a perfect system and I do think a playoff is the only way to make it reasonably fair. They can do it in basketball, why not football?

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:24 am

kayrharris wrote:Auburn got screwed by the BCS a few years back as well. It's certainly not a perfect system and I do think a playoff is the only way to make it reasonably fair. They can do it in basketball, why not football?
It would be easy if it weren't for the perceived dollar signs involved.

An 8 team playoff would be relatively easy. Top 4 ranked teams would get a home game against the bottom 4 teams 2 weeks after the various league championships. This year that would be December 15th. The four teams that advance could fill two bowl games around New Years and then the championship game would be the following weekend, or on the following Monday night a week later, not that much different from the current BCS bowl structure.

I am not sure it would even hurt the bowl system revenue that much and would probably significantly improve TV viewership of those games and thus the revenue generated.

Division II already has a 24 team system with a first round bye for 8 of the teams. They end up playing as many as 14 to 16 games in a season depending on how far the advance in the playoffs. This would be at most 16 games and only for the final 2 teams in Division I-A.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2