Transcript 11/19/07 Anne Boyd

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/19/07 Anne Boyd

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Anne Boyd
Landenberg, PA
Retired chemist

Anne is being given a second-chance. She appeared on an episode last season where she missed the $25K. TPTB decided the question was inaccurate, so they are bringing her back.

Last season, Anne gave Meredith a scarf she knitted. She gives Meredith another scarf, one she made since the last time she was here.

Anne has all of her lifelines.

$25K The mineral quartz is a compound of oxygen and what other element?
A. Silicon
B. Magnesium
C. Zinc
D. Carbon

ATA

24% A. Silicon
13% B. Magnesium
19% C. Zinc
44% D. Carbon

50/50 leaves A. Silicon and B. Magnesium.

$50K The title of the Broadway musical "Fiddler on the Roof" was inspired by the works of what famous artist?
A. Gustav Klimt
B. Chaim Soutine
C. Marc Chagall
D. Paul Cèzanne

$100K What were the first names of Mason and Dixon, the duo who mapped the famous "line" between the North and the South?
A. Randolph and John
B. Benjamin and Arthur
C. Walter and Miles
D. Charles and Jeremiah

PAF - Paula, Anne's step-daughter

Paula says she is sure it's Charles and Jeremiah.

commercial break

$250K In 1924, two years after the USSR was formed, what became the world's second communist country?
A. Romania
B. Albania
C. Bulgaria
D. Mongolia

STQ

$250K When Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" debuted on radio in 1970, what band's song was the show's first #1 hit?
A. Three Dog Night
B. The Temptations
C. The Guess Who
D. Sly & The Family Stone

Anne decides to leave with $100K

Answers:
$25K A. Silicon
$50K C. Marc Chagall
$100K D. Charles and Jeremiah
$250K D. Mongolia
$250K A. Three Dog Night

anne105

second chance!

#2 Post by anne105 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi all - after my first Millionaire appearance last March, several people from the Bored were kind enough to get in touch with me about the erroneous quesstion. So now that my return appearance has shown today, I can tell you some of my experiences. First of all, the producers were very ethical about correcting the mistake and having me back and starting me exactly where I left off. I taped in August and it's been REALLY REALLY hard to keep it a secret!! The second taping was rather different from the first: I was kept in isolation from the other contestants (presumably so I wouldn't tell the others about the actual hot seat experience?), which wasn't as much fun as meeting the others, but also probably more calming. Plus I could knit - helps me with stress. Anyhow, I got to be the first on an episode and walk out with Meredith. OK, I'm pretty embarrassed about the $25K question! I really did know it but I was so afraid to screw up and leave with $1000 again that I blew two lifelines on it. In my opinion ATA is not all that valuable, but it seems wasteful to have used both on the same dumb question. Anyway, I gave myself a mental shake and just answered it and moved on. $50K was easy - well OK, it was something I knew. Then at $100K I used PAF as it was an easily searchable question (funny coincidence: the Mason/Dixon line practically runs through my backyard!!). Tell that guy who talked about the gender of PAFs that all five of mine were female and all part of the family. Anyway, both the $250K questions were things I didn't know, and I don't think that having ATA or 50/50 would have helped: I would have been completely guessing. Were those questions abnormally hard for that level, or were they just areas I don't know? Whatever. I'm happy with the $100,000. The whole Millionaire experience was a blast!

p.s. Am I a WE/WE? I never did understand that one . . .

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Good job, Anne! I'm happy that you were invited back, and that the outcome was beneficial! Enjoy your winnings. (Amazing how much easier that will be with this check, instead of the previous one.)

:D

NellyLunatic1980

Re: second chance!

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:19 am

$25K: I didn't think quartz and diamond were related in anyway, so carbon was out. Zinc oxide and Magnesium oxide are used in medicines, so they're out. Silicon had to be right.

$50K: It had to be a Jewish artist, so A and D were out. Strongly leaning toward Chagall. It's a free question, so let's go with it.

$100K: I didn't know Mason's first name, but I did know off the bat that Dixon's first name was Jeremiah. I'm glad only one option up there had Jeremiah.

$250K: NAFC®. Switch it.

$250K #2: The only song that I could think of that came out in 1970 was "Mama Told Me Not to Come". Not enough to go on, so let's PAF first for confirmation.
anne105 wrote:p.s. Am I a WE/WE? I never did understand that one . . .
WE/WE is short for Where Else?/What Else? "Where Else?" is the term we give contestants who are from the NYC area. "What Else?" is the term we give contestants who are involved in the entertainment business (actor, musician, etc.). So you are not a WE/WE. :-)

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/19/07 Anne Boyd

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Anne Boyd
Landenberg, PA
Retired chemist

Anne is being given a second-chance. She appeared on an episode last season where she missed the $25K. TPTB decided the question was inaccurate, so they are bringing her back.
And I think this Bored (speaking in general terms, not the specific software tool) deserves credit for this because we turned Anne on to the illegitimacy of the question. And special kudos to TheConfessor for his role.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Last season, Anne gave Meredith a scarf she knitted. She gives Meredith another scarf, one she made since the last time she was here.
elwing wanted to see more of that scarf.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Anne has all of her lifelines.
They gave her back the one she used on the bad question, which is as it should be.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K The mineral quartz is a compound of oxygen and what other element?
A. Silicon
B. Magnesium
C. Zinc
D. Carbon
OK, I listened to Anne's explanation - she didn't want to leave again, she was nervous, didn't want to have her colleagues revoke her degree - and still I think this was a wasted lifeline. She could have come up with the answer to this one with a little more thought. Not only that, but ATA is probably the exactly wrong one to use. Still, ATA might not be of much value for the higher-dollar questions, so perhaps it's no great loss. But then to use the 50/50 on top of that, well...
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K The title of the Broadway musical "Fiddler on the Roof" was inspired by the works of what famous artist?
A. Gustav Klimt
B. Chaim Soutine
C. Marc Chagall
D. Paul Cèzanne
I would have been seriously freaked out by this question because I completely misunderstood it. For some reason I thought it was asking for the author who wrote the stories on which it was based, and not seeing Sholem Aleichem I'd have been confused. But even if I had read it correctly I'd have had to use a lifeline, probably STQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K What were the first names of Mason and Dixon, the duo who mapped the famous "line" between the North and the South?
A. Randolph and John
B. Benjamin and Arthur
C. Walter and Miles
D. Charles and Jeremiah
I'd have used the 50/50, hoping that A and D weren't the two answers left. If they were, it'd be time to PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K In 1924, two years after the USSR was formed, what became the world's second communist country?
A. Romania
B. Albania
C. Bulgaria
D. Mongolia
If I get to this question, it's a lock.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K When Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" debuted on radio in 1970, what band's song was the show's first #1 hit?
A. Three Dog Night
B. The Temptations
C. The Guess Who
D. Sly & The Family Stone
I wouldn't even begin to answer this one, but if I still had my ATA, I'd take a shot, then walk away. Turns out the song ("Mama Told me not to Come", Meredith noted) is one on my MP3 player.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

summus123

#6 Post by summus123 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:41 am

I have a question about Anne's missed $25K question on her first appearance. I looked at the transcript from that show, and the question was "What is the Sea of Cortez also known as". The only correct answer I see is the Gulf of California (which was listed as the correct answer). Was the transcript incorrect, or am I missing something? :?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:48 am

summus123 wrote:I have a question about Anne's missed $25K question on her first appearance. I looked at the transcript from that show, and the question was "What is the Sea of Cortez also known as". The only correct answer I see is the Gulf of California (which was listed as the correct answer). Was the transcript incorrect, or am I missing something? :?
My recollection is that the question included the phrase "U.S. body of water...., " which the Gulf of California is not.

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:30 am

summus123 wrote:I have a question about Anne's missed $25K question on her first appearance. I looked at the transcript from that show, and the question was "What is the Sea of Cortez also known as". The only correct answer I see is the Gulf of California (which was listed as the correct answer). Was the transcript incorrect, or am I missing something? :?
See this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1233

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:08 pm

Having just returned from Mongolia this summer I happened to know the 250K question.

Not sure I would have gotten that far though as I did know the 25K but I needed a little help on the 50K and 100K. Have read the names of Mason and Dixon many times but I was not able to recall them when I read this. Leaning towards Chagall on the 50K but not 100% there either.

No clue on the STQ 250K question but would not likely have seen that one had I made it that far.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Congratulations on your return appearance, Anne! Maybe a chemist would consider that an easy $25K question, but I wouldn't. I wouldn't have been too happy with those other questions, either, except for the one on Mongolia. That one fit with my general knowledge of European history and with a book I read recently about the dinosaur hunting expeditions of the '20s that had problems with the Mongolian government.

I'm glad you found your way to our new home and I hope you decide to stay with us.

If you feel free to talk about it now, can you tell us when you started discussing the problem with the Sea of Cortez question with the producers and when they agreed to bring you back?

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 11/19/07 Anne Boyd

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:18 pm

earendel wrote: And I think this Bored (speaking in general terms, not the specific software tool) deserves credit for this because we turned Anne on to the illegitimacy of the question. And special kudos to TheConfessor for his role.
TheConfessor was the first BB to mention the error in the question on the Bored, but he denies being the BB who contacted Anne. That BB's identity remains a mystery--to me, at least.