RIP Ira Levin

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
NellyLunatic1980

RIP Ira Levin

#1 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Author of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Stepford Wives".

Age 78, from a heart attack.

silverscreenselect

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:29 am

Also The Boys from Brazil, the play Deathtrap, the play No Time for Sergeants and A Kiss Before Dying (a good thriller that was made into one good and one not-so-good movie). Very adept at all sorts of suspense thillers.

Rosemary's Baby was a case of a nearly perfect genre book being turned into a nearly perfect film.

The first time I saw the movie, I honestly had no idea what it was going to be about. The trailer was very vague, asking the audience to "pray for Rosemary's Baby." I hadn't read the book (I was still in high school) and I thought it was going to be some type of juicy trash soap opera with Mia or some other woman taking her clothes off (which is pretty much what an R-rated movie signified in those days). I was completely dumbfounded as the film unfolded.

Unfortunately, with the flood of giveaway trailers they have today, which reveal virtually every single plot twist in giving viewers a three-minute mini-version of the movie, not to mention spoiler reviews and websites, it is extremely rare that viewers can be genuinely surprised by anything anymore.

One of the reasons I have a lot of vintage DVD's, many of them films I've never seen and only have a vague idea about what they are about is to recapture that feeling of delightful surprise at seeing a movie play out in a way that is a nearly complete surprise to me.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:26 am

I had a track shift in my brain when I saw this. I thought it was the People's Court guy - Harvey Levin and I was shocked.

I don't think I could have told you who Ira was. Now I can.

May he rest in peace.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#4 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:30 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Also The Boys from Brazil, the play Deathtrap, the play No Time for Sergeants and A Kiss Before Dying (a good thriller that was made into one good and one not-so-good movie). Very adept at all sorts of suspense thillers.
I love the book AKBD, and have seen portions of the Sean Young (okay, there's your problem right there!)/Matt Dillon movie, but I have yet to see the oldie but goodie version. With all the channels I have now and all the stuff On Demand, you would think I'd be able to find it sometime that's not 3 am.

Of course, now I'll go check my listings and find it's on in an hour....

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#5 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:36 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Also The Boys from Brazil, the play Deathtrap, the play No Time for Sergeants and A Kiss Before Dying (a good thriller that was made into one good and one not-so-good movie). Very adept at all sorts of suspense thillers.
I love the book AKBD, and have seen portions of the Sean Young (okay, there's your problem right there!)/Matt Dillon movie, but I have yet to see the oldie but goodie version. With all the channels I have now and all the stuff On Demand, you would think I'd be able to find it sometime that's not 3 am.

What? How can you tear Erin away from The Fairly OddParents?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#6 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:39 am

Rexer25 wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:

What? How can you tear Erin away from The Fairly OddParents?
I found Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Kiss Me Deadly.

And Erin is watching Caillou with her breakfast. Fairly OddParents is more her brothers' (and her mom's!) thing....

The Crimson Chin
Merry Man

#7 Post by The Crimson Chin » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:44 am

I prefer The Fairly OddParents, myself!