Fred Claus?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

Fred Claus?

#1 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:23 am

Has anyone here seen it?

My son is invited to a birthday party on Saturday where they will be seeing it. We wanted to be prepared in case it raises questions about the existence of "The Jolly One", especially so that we can make sure that nothing is spoiled for PP (from him).

We had hoped to be able to see it prior to his attending (as we try to do for all non-G movies), but I am not sure that it is going to happen.

So, will this movie shake the belief foundation of a seven year-old?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: Fred Claus?

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 am

Appa23 wrote:Has anyone here seen it?

My son is invited to a birthday party on Saturday where they will be seeing it. We wanted to be prepared in case it raises questions about the existence of "The Jolly One", especially so that we can make sure that nothing is spoiled for PP (from him).

We had hoped to be able to see it prior to his attending (as we try to do for all non-G movies), but I am not sure that it is going to happen.

We haven't seen it.

If it questions his belief system, you can always tell him that as long as he believes in Santa, Santa will bring him presents. That should keep him sucked into the myth for a few more years :) (That's what my mom did with me.)

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#3 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

We haven't seen it.

If it questions his belief system, you can always tell him that as long as he believes in Santa, Santa will bring him presents. That should keep him sucked into the myth for a few more years :) (That's what my mom did with me.)
So here's the $64 question: what age were y'all when you first had questions about the big guy?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 am

This is one of my family's favorite Santa Stories. It's called "Six to Eight Black Men."

http://filebox.vt.edu/j/juvandyk/pics/6to8blackmen.htm

It's funnier when it's read by the author.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 am

Rexer25 wrote:

We haven't seen it.

So here's the $64 question: what age were y'all when you first had questions about the big guy?
About six or seven. I knew that he wasn't real by the time that I was 8. My sister was 3 1/2 years younger, so I pretended to believe so that she could believe and so that I would get presents.

Emma stopped believing when she was about 7. She pretended to believe for Maddie's sake. :)

Ebeneezer Beast
Merry Man

#6 Post by Ebeneezer Beast » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:25 am

Appa23 wrote:So, will this movie shake the belief foundation of a seven year-old?

BAH! Get that young lad's head out of the clouds and into a few chimneys. I didn't get to be a rich old miser by believing in some imaginary fat man who's too jolly for his own good. These no good idlers need to get out and work, work, work!

I hear the clinking of chains again....
Bah! Humbug!

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:28 am

Rexer25 wrote:So here's the $64 question: what age were y'all when you first had questions about the big guy?
I don't recall ever believing in Santa, though I'm sure I did. I was a smart (and smart-aleck) kid growing up and I suspect my illusions came to an end in early elementary school.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:36 am

Rexer25 wrote:

We haven't seen it.

I haven't seen the movie yet, either.

My belief in Santa was sorely vexed when I was in fourth grade. For years we'd have Santa actually come to our house after Christmas Eve dinner, after we'd washed the dishes and cleaned everything up (we open presents on Christmas Eve-Norwegian thingie at the time-now we just can't wait). He was in full Santa dress and I got to sit on his lap and he brung me good stuff.
So, that year we were just about finished douching the house when we heard crashes and bangs and some cussing coming from the garage and I thought, "Gee. Santa sounds a lot like Papa (my grandfather). Maybe they're related."

The domino effect brought down the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny and I also found out my teachers weren't gods.
Well, then

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:38 am

Ebeneezer Beast wrote: I hear the clinking of chains again....
It's not me, Ebeneezer.

My caseload has been almost exclusively dedicated to a single client since March 2001. :twisted:

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:40 am

LOL - douching the house?!?!

douching?!?!

That is the word I think it is, right?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 am

peacock2121 wrote:LOL - douching the house?!?!

douching?!?!

That is the word I think it is, right?

Douching it is. Don't you ever do a complete house-douching? I don't think I coined the phrase. In fact I picked it up from someone else.
Well, then

peacock2121

#12 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 am

I have only ever douched one thing in my whole life.

We would do house cleaning, including the edges, but, nope, just only douched one thing.

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#13 Post by Odyssey » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:47 am

I also don't ever remember believing in Santa and was outraged at this trick my family tried to pull on me. Like SC's story, but perhaps on the next level. They had my NANA dress up as Santa for a visit and put reindeer antlers on her Eskimo Spitz dog. Um...I was not an idiot. They kept saying it was Santa no matter how many times I said, no, this is Nana. I learned early on not to trust my family.
Odyssey

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:48 am

peacock2121 wrote:I have only ever douched one thing in my whole life.

We would do house cleaning, including the edges, but, nope, just only douched one thing.

That thud you heard was Otto hitting the floor again....

lb13

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:49 am

What about Ashcroft?

Where is he?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:49 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I have only ever douched one thing in my whole life.

That thud you heard was Otto hitting the floor again....

lb13
Do you know how hard it is to spray that thing over two stories? I'm just sayin'.
Well, then

peacock2121

#17 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:50 am

It makes me happy to see a thread started by HoltDad about a kid movie turn into a thread about douching.

I am easily assumed.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#18 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:54 am

peacock2121 wrote:It makes me happy to see a thread started by HoltDad about a kid movie turn into a thread about douching.

I am easily assumed.

I once had an 8 week tour stocking the Health and Beauty Aids department. I'll take the bleach and detergent spills anyday over trying to find which box of Massengill on the shelf is creating the puddle on the floor....

Of course, THOSE products have since been moved to the Pharmacy area....

lb13

peacock2121

#19 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:57 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:It makes me happy to see a thread started by HoltDad about a kid movie turn into a thread about douching.

I am easily assumed.

I once had an 8 week tour stocking the Health and Beauty Aids department. I'll take the bleach and detergent spills anyday over trying to find which box of Massengill on the shelf is creating the puddle on the floor....

lb13
In 8 weeks time, you still couldn't ID different flavors, huh?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:58 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

I am easily assumed.

lb13
My goodness. You both appear to be easily "assumed". Amazing what our brians raed.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:59 am

I am easily assumed.
And I helped!
Well, then

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:00 am

I do wonder what I was thinking.

assumed

amused

There not even really close.

Otto Censor
Merry Man

#23 Post by Otto Censor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:00 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

I am easily assumed.

lb13
And rightly so! That should be kept under lock and key--do you have any idea what those things are going to TOUCH! And the instructions have PICTURES!!!

{{{{{{SHUDDER!!!}}}}}}*swoon**faint**thud*

Otto Censor
Merry Man

#24 Post by Otto Censor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 am

peacock2121 wrote:I do wonder what I was thinking.

assumed

amused

There not even really close.
If you keep lifting that skirt young lady, you WILL be easily assumed!

earendel

#25 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:06 am

Otto Censor wrote:If you keep lifting that skirt young lady, you WILL be easily assumed!
As in "assume the position"?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."