2015 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

Re: 2015 Audition List

#126 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:30 am

My interviewer told me to check my spam filter. Since they were rejecting me (no video) I figured that said something about how they configured their rejections, but in fact it came via regular (non-spam) e-mail.

geoffil

#127 Post by geoffil » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:51 am

I don't get how the interviewer decides in 2 minutes whether you are in or you are out.
Any one have a guess besides the obvious MAWG's. Is it smile, dress, hair, what?
I had several auditions and got no's until I got my yes. I wasn't any different .

triviawayne

#128 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:14 am

geoffil wrote:I don't get how the interviewer decides in 2 minutes whether you are in or you are out.
Any one have a guess besides the obvious MAWG's. Is it smile, dress, hair, what?
I had several auditions and got no's until I got my yes. I wasn't any different .
Wish I could tell you. I've passed 12 times now, but only the last three times did I get the on-camera interview, and only the last two times made the pool. These last two times were only after I've been on Million Second Quiz. I mention that because I think maybe I was seen as borderline, but now that I can say I've been on a show, if the interviewer is on the fence about me they can pass me through to see how I am on camera as they can always reject me at that point.

There were some that were there so long, they would recognize me and had predetermined from previous outings that they would never put me on the show. It was obvious they were only going through the motions with me. There are all new people this year.

As for in-person interviews, The Chase has turned me down twice, and even Million Second Quiz turned me down. I got on because I crashed the gates, and by the time my first turn in the chair was done, I was #1.

ghostjmf

#129 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:20 am

I'm a "no", "yes", followed by all "nos" so far. See that hopeful "so far".

The one audition I passed, I sang a parody of "Loverly", rewritten about BAM.

When I got to the ROF they asked me if I'd sing it if I won the FF, & worrying more about my memory than anything else I said "if I have to". I could claim I was then given bad buttons on purpose, but frankly I didn't hear the people who did win singing anything.

Subsequent hints I could audition in song have not been taken up.

At the most recent fail, which took maybe 4 or 5 minutes, I was prompted by being asked about quizzes I'd participated in & I said I hadn't, I used to watch College Bowl & knew I could never do that, "but Millionaire I could do".

Brain-to-mouth: Next time, just agree with everything they feed you. Make stuff up that agrees with them.

And do not, repeat *not* imply that their show, their baby, might be easy for you.

And the interviewer was way too young to have heard of College Bowl. Physics & chemistry probs under quiz-show time pressure are not things I could have done even when the knowledge was current.

TheConfessor

#130 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:56 pm

triviawayne wrote: As for in-person interviews, The Chase has turned me down twice, and even Million Second Quiz turned me down. I got on because I crashed the gates, and by the time my first turn in the chair was done, I was #1.
That's the only way I got on MSQ, just flying to New York on my own and showing up on the sidewalk to sit for hours eating Subway sandwiches and hoping to get picked. But I think I caught a break when one of the casting people who interviewed me at TCONA put in a good word for me. So at the end of the day, I got to sit in the money chair and answer trivia questions from about midnight to 4:30 a.m. while building a theoretical jackpot over $110K. Wayne, that whole experience is somewhat of a blur. Were you there in your Subway pod while I was playing? I already knew Brandon and Andy a little, so I was mostly aware of them, and I knew I was making the person on the bubble a little nervous, but then I got knocked out on a crazy question about miniature donkey talk. Still, I'm glad I tried. I may never again have as good an opportunity on a game show.

goongas

#131 Post by goongas » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:32 am

Confessor, I think you helped your cause on MSQ by tweeting along comically with the show in the days earlier, and from being out of town.

triviawayne

#132 Post by triviawayne » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:34 am

goongas wrote:Confessor, I think you helped your cause on MSQ by tweeting along comically with the show in the days earlier, and from being out of town.
Yeah, I auditioned, got a callback, took the test, scored 94% on the test and still didn't get called. They were never going to pull me out of the quiz room, but when the systems crashed I guess they figured nobody would see it anyway and how could I possibly ruin their show, just get me through so I leave. Well that didn't work out for them when I won 12 straight and had about $87,000 for first place on winners row.

I really wish I could've been in the chair a little earlier. From waking up on Thursday before the show began until I was done in the chair at 445am on Monday morning, I had a TOTAL of about 12 hours sleep; and was awake for 21 or 22 hours straight when I got in the chair, about 15 minutes short of 24 hours when my time in the chair was over. On my last bout, I nodded off twice during the bout and still only lost by 2 points.

With the systems not working, they had us play in a little closet using Sony Playstation controllers to choose our answers. I didn't have a visual of the words in the question or answers with that, and when that tired, by the time the reader got to choice D, I would completely forget what choice A was.

I doubt I was there at the time Confessor was there because he said he could see the pod people, and that didn't happen until Wednesday night. I was tapped out on Thursday morning, my total was $156,522.

I came up with the plan of the four of us working together. If we would win power player, we would either put ourself in the chair or we would send the lowest player on winners row. My plan was to raise the bar as high as possible as fast as possible to lock out the better players that I knew would be coming later on. I had found out the show invited Ed Carpenter, and even though I knew he wouldn't come, I also knew that meant the show would invite other heavy hitters.

After my Tuesday night in prime time, I was only able to win a few more games in the closet room; the last game I played was just filled with things I didn't know.

Bob Juch

#133 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:14 am

TheConfessor wrote:
triviawayne wrote: As for in-person interviews, The Chase has turned me down twice, and even Million Second Quiz turned me down. I got on because I crashed the gates, and by the time my first turn in the chair was done, I was #1.
That's the only way I got on MSQ, just flying to New York on my own and showing up on the sidewalk to sit for hours eating Subway sandwiches and hoping to get picked. But I think I caught a break when one of the casting people who interviewed me at TCONA put in a good word for me. So at the end of the day, I got to sit in the money chair and answer trivia questions from about midnight to 4:30 a.m. while building a theoretical jackpot over $110K. Wayne, that whole experience is somewhat of a blur. Were you there in your Subway pod while I was playing? I already knew Brandon and Andy a little, so I was mostly aware of them, and I knew I was making the person on the bubble a little nervous, but then I got knocked out on a crazy question about miniature donkey talk. Still, I'm glad I tried. I may never again have as good an opportunity on a game show.
You aren't the first man to have problems with a little ass.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

DDP

#134 Post by DDP » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:11 pm

What is the contestant hotline number?

triviawayne

#135 Post by triviawayne » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:47 pm

DDP wrote:What is the contestant hotline number?
It's a phone number for potential contestants to call with questions/rescheduling, but that's not important right now... :lol:

it's buried somewhere on their website.

(203) 703-9688

DDP

#136 Post by DDP » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 am

I literally laughed out loud at that post. Well done my man...

G

(the number is a recording saying the show is on hiatus. Boo.)

triviawayne

#137 Post by triviawayne » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:55 pm

Found this to be interesting...

7/31 is the tape date for College Freshman Week.

Today (7/27), they are holding auditions for regular shows, plus specialty weeks.

Someone could audition today and tape Friday.

goongas

#138 Post by goongas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:32 pm

I went to the audition today in NYC. They were not auditioning for the speciality weeks. There were more people there than I can ever remember. I got the quick no thank you that I usually get after I passed the written test.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#139 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 am

HOYA86, auditioned April 23, :)
emi, auditioned May 7, :)
Vidiot, auditioned May 12, :D, taping July 13
Bigdaddy1973, auditioned May 21, :)
The_Raven, auditioned May 26, :)
triviawayne, auditioned May 28, :)
4everjoy, auditioned June 3, :)
ghostjmf, auditioned June 10, :(
leszekmp, auditioned June 17, :D, taping July 22
DJ0000, auditioned June 17, :D, taping August 5
Bob78164, auditioned June 19, :(
DDP, auditioned July 6, passed written test
goongas, auditioned July 27, passed written test
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

#140 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:51 am

goongas wrote:I went to the audition today in NYC. They were not auditioning for the speciality weeks. There were more people there than I can ever remember. I got the quick no thank you that I usually get after I passed the written test.
These specialty weeks don't have a special test to go with them. They were only asking people to write the week on their answer sheets next to their name:

"if you are in the military, write 'military' next to your name"
"if there is something on your bucket list, write 'bucket list' next to your name"

Their Facebook page said they were auditioning for these weeks, so I can only ask if you remember the above as part of the instructions given at your test.

As far as casting for those weeks, they would ask about what you wrote next to your name during the on camera interview.

goongas

#141 Post by goongas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:19 am

They did not mention the special weeks to us at all during the two spiels I heard (one before the test, one while waiting for my interview).

triviawayne

#142 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 am

goongas wrote:They did not mention the special weeks to us at all during the two spiels I heard (one before the test, one while waiting for my interview).
I just check that again, looks like they want people to apply online for those weeks; I just assumed they would mention it at the in-person audition yesterday as well.

As they seem to be booking further than two weeks out, and taping ends on 8/21, that bucket list week is looking to be my only hope at this point :?

ghostjmf

#143 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:08 am

At my audition they asked people to write if they were military or had a smart kid (we at table surmised they might be planning a parent-&-child show) but I didn't hear "bucket list" or I'd certainly have made something up. And we'd have discussed this at table.

triviawayne

#144 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 am

ghostjmf wrote:At my audition they asked people to write if they were military or had a smart kid (we at table surmised they might be planning a parent-&-child show) but I didn't hear "bucket list" or I'd certainly have made something up. And we'd have discussed this at table.
Weird...

yours was two weeks after mine and they didn't mention it; yet they are currently looking for it via online auditions along with bachelors, whiz kids, military and college freshman.

ghostjmf

#145 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:41 am

At mine I think they asked for bachelors too. Not bachelorettes. Or old maids. I guess we're just not funny.

triviawayne

#146 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:03 am

Well I guess my game show dreams for the year are done :(

Jeopardy didn't invite me to audition, and although I'm in the pool for WWTBAM, they didn't call. As far as the bucket list week I was holding out hope for, I think that hope is dashed.

With taping concluding on 8/21, and knowing how far out they are booked, this just isn't going to happen. The final nail in the coffin is the change to their website now stating they are currently casting for next season...and looking for the same specialty weeks including bucket list week. I now have to wonder if they are doing bucket list this season or decided to push it back to next season.

While it remains to be seen if the show will increase ratings next season, I am confident it will be back for 2016-2017 as Sony really wants to keep the show going as the US show lifts the overall value of the brand around the world.

eybyon

#147 Post by eybyon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:23 am

triviawayne wrote:Well I guess my game show dreams for the year are done :(
Mine too, it seems. Though they expressed interest in me after seeing my video audition submission and had me send in an application, I haven't heard from them since. I followed up a few times by email in the past 2 months but received no response.

MarleysGh0st

#148 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:21 pm

eybyon wrote:Mine too, it seems. Though they expressed interest in me after seeing my video audition submission and had me send in an application, I haven't heard from them since. I followed up a few times by email in the past 2 months but received no response.
You're lucky you didn't hear from their lawyer. :|

eybyon

#149 Post by eybyon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:58 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:You're lucky you didn't hear from their lawyer. :|
For following up one too many times? Has this actually happened to anyone?

MarleysGh0st

#150 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:41 pm

eybyon wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:You're lucky you didn't hear from their lawyer. :|
For following up one too many times? Has this actually happened to anyone?
Mine was an e-mail asking, in deep frustration, why I kept being turned down in the interviews. Yes, it happened.

But the general lesson to be gained from that is that they don't want to be bothered by auditioners outside of those brief auditions. Updating your contact info, if you're in the pool, is okay, but that's it.