New York Trip & (Non) Audition Report (Part 1)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
VAdame

New York Trip & (Non) Audition Report (Part 1)

#1 Post by VAdame » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:55 pm

After Rosemary's stint in the ROF in August, we decided it was time for the McGinnis Sisters (plus one DeVaughn Daughter) to give an audition a shot. We got tickets to the Sept. 23 taping, packed up our dark, solid-colored tops, and headed to the Big Apple for the 2nd time in less than 2 months. I brought Leah along for her first trip to NY. We drove to Eileen's house outside Philly on Tuesday and rode with her to the Trenton train station. We actually weren't able to get a hotel reservation in Manhattan, because of the opening of the UN -- but the Newark Penn Station has a pretty nice Hilton Hotel attached, and it's only a quick 15-minute trip into NY by Jersey Transit train. Rosemary drove directly to Newark from DC and met us there.

We made a quick run into Times Square Tuesday night -- Leah was suitably impressed! I had promised Keith I would look for the barbecue place where we ate on our trip -- sure enough, there was Virgil's Real Barbecue on W. 44th, just as yummy as it was 9 years ago! :D We only got there about 15 minutes before their midnight closing, but ate up and then literally ran the 10 blocks back to Penn Station to catch a 12:42 train back to the hotel. We made it with seconds to spare!

Well.....WWTBAM had called while we were en route Tuesday, reminding us of our tickets for the next day and suggesting arriving "about 1/2 hour early (for our 10:15 AM taping) to be sure we got in." We got up bright and early Wednesday morning, dressed in our dark-and-solid outfits, made ourselves beautiful, peppered each other w/ trivia questions during the train ride & a quick subway ride to ABC. And we arrived outside the studio at 9:50 AM. OK, 25 minutes early, but close..... Only to be told that they had just already gotten their 200 audience member, but we were numbers 1 through 4 of the standby tickets!!!! We asked what about auditioning. Nope -- no chance to take the test unless we wanted to try to get into the afternoon test! !@#$%^&*! They told us to come back at 11:30.

We came back -- early this time -- and had no trouble getting in. I won't do any spoilers, but this was the first day of taping the "Tournament of Ten," so taping took a little longer than usual. I will say I didn't run into any ATA's that I had not a clue on this time (unlike Rexalite's Sesame Street Q last month.) I can tell you pretty much anything you want about any episode of Spongebob (Johnny's favorite) or Rugrats (Leah's and Karen's show) but the only one of my kids who really watched Sesame Street was Megan, and that was 30-some years ago! Back to WWTBAM -- if you've never been in to a taping, being in the audience is hard work!!! You have to applaud (loudly!), yell and cheer (also loudly!) and generally be a part of the energy of the show. And it is tiring -- especially when they have to do multiple takes! Plus, we were told we wouldn't have a chance for a restroom break until after the taping -- and we were supposed to watch them tape 3 shows! Yikes! Fortunately, at the end of the first show, they had the audience shuffle around a bit to different seats (I guess so it looks like they taped on different days, same as Meredith and carryover contestants changing outfits.) So Leah and Ro got a break -- and got to see Meredith! She was coming out of her dressing room as they were leaving the ladies room, and she waved and said hi to them :) Meredith was great -- she looks younger (and slimmer) in person than she does on TV. And she was wearing a pair of Christian Louboutin Red-Soled Shoes! Cool! She was very poised and professional despite needing several takes for some of the T of T promos. Well, because the tapings took so long, they decided to only do 2 shows this session. They announced the names of the folks who passed the test earlier (!@#$%^& of course we weren't among them since we were 5 minutes too late!) But Rosemary had been talking to a couple of the APs who remembered her from August, so we checked on whether we could indeed take the afternoon test. Turns out the only way to do that would be to sit through the 2nd taping session -- the afternoon test is given after the shows are taped. If we left the building to go get some lunch, etc.... we would not be allowed back in after the shows to take the test. All 4 of us pretty much looked at each other, looked at the AP who was helping us, and said "Thanks, but No Thanks!" As much as we want to be millionaires, there was no way in hell we could stay for another 2 (or possibly 3!) shows, applaud and cheer (loudly and energetically!), and then take a test and audition -- all with no food and limited restroom access. No.Way.In.Hell. So, we will give it another shot, another day -- and probably try to attend an afternoon taping next time :?

(To Be Continued)

VAdame

Re: New York Trip & (Non) Audition Report (Part 2)

#2 Post by VAdame » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Besides, along with our Millionaire taping and auditions, we had come to see the sights of New York, and see them we would! Especially as it was Leah's first visit. I mean, it's great to visit a studio and watch a show -- but it's New York! And New York just has so much stuff to see and do, that you could stay for weeks and not get to half of it :lol:

So we hopped on the subway down to Times Square to see what shows were at the TKTS booth. We agreed on "Bye Bye Birdie" -- with John Stamos in the Dick Van Dyke role and Gina Gershon as Rose, and Jayne Houdyshell hilarious as Mrs. Mae Peterson. We had a couple of hours to kill so we wandered around and checked out the sights -- no Naked Cowboy this time though. Also wandered down to the fabric shops in the Fashion District for a bit -- Eileen got some nice silk on sale. We had great seats -- front row of the mezzanine -- and the show was wonderful. We got a nice deli dinner, and decided to plan the rest of our touristy stuff for Thursday. Since Rosemary has been to NYC many times -- including helping to clean up at Ground Zero after 9-11 -- she decided to head home Thursday morning. As for the Leah, Eileen, and I -- we decided our best bet was the Gray Line bus tour, with stops at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Thursday's weather was perfect. And the tour is well worth the price, especially for a newcomer like Leah, or for me, since I hadn't really gotten to do any tourist stuff in August (due to the long weather delay on my flight.) Other than my own Millionaire trip in 2000, I hadn't been to New York since I was about 8 or 9 years old! So I was long overdue for a tour myself. We took the boat out to the Statue, but didn't have tickets to go inside, so we didn't disembark there, but waited till we got to Ellis Island. Fascinating place, and some day we'll go back when we have more time and see if we can find the records of my Nawrocki and Czarnecki great-grandparents who came over from Poland in the 1890s (my grandma Elizabeth Nawrocki was born here in 1895, but her sister Agnes came over on the boat with their parents as a baby.) Coincidentally, Eileen's husband Rob called to tell us that his aunt Annie had just passed away (sad, but not unexpected -- she's been in poor health for some time.) Annie was born in Russia in 1923 and came over on the boat as an infant -- and was part of the last great wave of immigration to pass through Ellis Island!

Then, back on the boat and back to Battery Park to hop on the next bus. We saw many more downtown sights, including the Brooklyn Bridge and even the VA Hospital (I made sure to get a pic.) All in all a good day and a nice intro to the Big Apple for Leah. We took the train back to Newark, picked up our luggage from the hotel, and got into Trenton (and back to Eileen's in Collegeville) in plenty of time for dinner and a good night's sleep.

On the way home, Leah and I decided to head down to Gettysburg -- another first for her and another place I hadn't been in many years. We saw the film and the Cyclorama, and took an auto-tour of the battlefield itself. By the time we got to the Pennsylvania Memorial (impressive!) it was getting pretty dark, so we headed out and started for home. We had good intentions to stop at the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, but it was way too late and dark by that time, so that trip will wait for another day.

As for "another day," we do intend to try another audition trip when we get a chance (maybe November?) -- but will probably stay at Eileen's the night before, take the train to NY in the morning, and attend a PM taping next time.

peacock2121

Re: New York Trip & (Non) Audition Report (Part 1)

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:35 am

Awesome report!

Sounds like you had a great time!

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:48 am

Absolutely a bummer that, after jumping through all their hoops to confirm your ticket, they still can't guarantee you a seat in the audience when you arrive with your tickets at the proper time. :evil:

VAdame wrote:We took the boat out to the Statue, but didn't have tickets to go inside, so we didn't disembark there, but waited till we got to Ellis Island. Fascinating place, and some day we'll go back when we have more time and see if we can find the records of my Nawrocki and Czarnecki great-grandparents who came over from Poland in the 1890s (my grandma Elizabeth Nawrocki was born here in 1895, but her sister Agnes came over on the boat with their parents as a baby.)
You don't have to go to Ellis Island to do that research. They've got all of their immigration records available on-line.

http://www.ellisisland.org/default.asp

Jeemie

#5 Post by Jeemie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:18 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Absolutely a bummer that, after jumping through all their hoops to confirm your ticket, they still can't guarantee you a seat in the audience when you arrive with your tickets at the proper time. :evil:
I guess they overbook, just like the airlines.

What I don't like is that they wouldn't let you audition.

I understand the idea of tying auditions to being in the audience, but this came about when they were having difficulty filling up the seats.

Since they had no problem filling the seats this time, what's the harm in still letting you audition?
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:26 am

Jeemie wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Absolutely a bummer that, after jumping through all their hoops to confirm your ticket, they still can't guarantee you a seat in the audience when you arrive with your tickets at the proper time. :evil:

I understand the idea of tying auditions to being in the audience, but this came about when they were having difficulty filling up the seats.

Since they had no problem filling the seats this time, what's the harm in still letting you audition?
Where would they do that? On the sidewalk?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Jeemie

#7 Post by Jeemie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:31 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Where would they do that? On the sidewalk?
I know for the second session, you take the tests in the seats, but I thought for the first session, you audition in a cafeteria or something.

Not everyone that goes to a taping is auditioning.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

Re: New York Trip & (Non) Audition Report (Part 1)

#8 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 am

Meredith also wore those shoes for the Aug. 5th taping. They are awesome!!